Trademark Applications

In NZ today we saw a store that has Amazon in big letters on their store front. Wonder how long before Bezos and Amazon.com Inc will take action or are they part of the? The store is a clothing store and has linked up with Billabong

From their Privacy policy

"If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding our Privacy Policy or practices, please send an email to privacy@boardriders.com.au or write to us at the following address:

Billabong International Limited
Attention: Legal Department
1 Billabong Place
Burleigh Heads, QLD 4220
T 07 5589 9899 ā€“ Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm "

2 Likes

I wonder how long it will be before these major corporations, especially US multinationals, try to trademark all the letters of all alphabets and all numerals and then demand that no one can use them without their express permission and royalty payments.

1 Like

While the latter has not come to pass,

Single letters are among the most popular trademarks registered in the United States. Each letter of the alphabet has, at a minimum, hundreds of trademarks. There are, for example, over 2,000 trademarks of the letter S, making it the most popular. There are 1,102 Vs, 1,100 Es, and 1,816 As. Pity the lonely Y, with only 229. For comparison, other common words have far fewer marks: ā€œmeā€ has 97, ā€œcatā€ has 72, and ā€œextremeā€ has only 42.

3 Likes

The reason for this is as Iā€™ve stated before, trademarks can only be applied if a) the traders are operating in the same market and b) that a ā€˜reasonable personā€™ could confuse the two.

The biggest example of this is Cadbury has the colour purple trademarked. This doesnā€™t mean no one else can use purple. It would be applied if another chocolate maker released chocolate in mainly purple packaging.

3 Likes
3 Likes

To clarify that article, Cadbury has just lost it as a registered trademark. (First I heard of it)

Trademark is inherent with no registration needed. Any business can stop another from infringing on its branding. These are identified with ā„¢

Trademark registration exists to provide more clear rulings by recording which brands have claimed what as a trademark. This is normally used by larger companies who have the money and can be identified with Ā®

So yes they lost the registration, but unless you have an army of lawyers I still wouldnā€™t suggest releasing chocolate in purple packaging :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Minor correction: Alphabet Inc is Google. Nothing to do with Amazon.

4 Likes

Opps holiday brain I have amended it to the correct details.

3 Likes

As I just walked throught our lounge room, I saw the tail end of an ad on the TV my wife left turned on for Telfast.

The word ā€œyesā€ was prominently displayed in one frame.

I expect that the grubs at Optus will probably be trying to sue them.

1 Like

The same momentarily occurred to me - it did look surprisingly similar. However there is about zero chance of consumer confusion between an anti-histamine (?) and a telecommunications product. So I am not expecting Optus to sue.

3 Likes

The latest battle in Peanut Wars ā€¦ Bega Cheese wins legal stoush against US food giant Heinz over peanut butter labelling - ABC News

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: To repair or replace, that is the question

Another Aussie win over US copyright infringements.

2 Likes

Hmm. Weā€™ve just received one of these from some outfit calling itself Trademark Renewal Service.

The IMPORTANT INFORMATION section reads almost word for word to the text you quoted. ā€œ$1555 for one class, and $620 for each additional classā€ Why are scammers fixated on those exact dollar figures I wonder? Anyway, another letter to go to the recycling centerā€¦

3 Likes

Those are amounts in the US patent and trademark renewal fee structure, and the former appears in a draft of the Australia 2020-21 document, although not in the same context.

4 Likes

An interesting notice on the website for our local Supa IGA today.

"Product Supply Announcement

Due to the unusually high demand of certain lines, some products may be unavailable or subject to limits.

We ask all shoppers to please buy in normal quantities to help us get back to a regular supply that everyone in our local community can access.

Kraft Promotion Withdrawn

Kraft Peanut Butter Smooth & Crunchy 375g is not available at the discounted price offered in the period Wednesday 29th April until Tuesday 5th May.

Following a decisions issued by the Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia on 14th April 2020, Kraft Heinz has immediately ceased suppling, selling, offering to sell, advertising or promoting peanut butter products in Australia.

As a result, although Kraft Peanut Butter Smooth & Crunchy 375g was advertised at a discount price in the catalogue which covered the period Wednesday 29th April until Tuesday 5th May, it is not available at the discounted price.

Thanks for your understanding.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

Having got their butt kicked, Kraft has taking their peanut butter home.

Well done Bega.

1 Like

An absolutely disgusting case of a big corporate bully boy trying to squash the little guy.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coles-supermarket-giant-claim-trademark-breach-against-craft-beer-small-business/58a914c1-23f9-47c8-8221-ec6f2565e17b

So after registering ā€œWine Dropā€ which they donā€™t even use, First Choice Liquor wants to claim ownership of all things ā€œDropā€.

I suppose the GoodDrop.com.au will be next. https://gooddrop.com.au/

Little wonder First Choice Liquor always plays second fiddle (or third fiddle) behind Dan Murphys with their lousy range and offers whilst they try squashing the little guy.

Perhaps the only Drop name they realy need is Drop Kick.

A petition is on Change.org opposing Coles disgraceful conduct.

A chance tor consumers to support the little guy from being crushed by the big bully boy.

Despite having lost the two previous cases including in the full court of the Federal Court, the disgusting multi-national bully boys at Kraft are now appealing the decisions to the High Court.

High time for all Aussies to boycott all Kraft products.

That suggestion would include all Heinz products as well?

It is the Kraft Heinz Co that is taking the court action. All it seems to be doing is generating lots of free marketing for Bega and negative press for the Kraft brand label. Donā€™t forget Heinz is also the same company.

SPC baked beans taste better anyway IMHO, or make your own.

P.S.
Some good fortune in that Trump did not sign up to the TPP, or the dispute might also be subject and settled based on US law? Kraft Heinz being a US company.

3 Likes