The purity of Australian honey

Is this the video?

I suspect that the pattern is because of the wave action/water flowing over the surface of the honey. These patterns are similar to those seen on the surface of sand banks in rivers/oceans, just a smaller scale.

I think that it won’t show real compared to adulterated honey…as it will depend on the solubility and viscosity of the ‘honey’ when the home test is performed. In winter, the solubility will be a lot less and viscosity of the ‘honey’ a lot higher as the tap water will be cool/cold. These patterns will take longer to form and the honey will not dissolve as quickly.

The reverse would apply in summer as the solubility will be higher and viscosity of the ‘honey’ lower making the surface ripples appear quicker and/or the ‘honey’ dissolving more quickly.

Honey will also dissolve into water. If one places honey in a glass with tap water say at around 20oC, the honey will eventually fully dissolve into the water with agitation and patience. At boiling point, the honey will dissolve almost instantaneously with agitation.

I suspect the same effect in the video will occur with high viscosity syrups such as treacle/golden syrup, when the water is cool. With these sugar syrups, the ability to see the effect will be less as they are darker in colour.

5 Likes