The large size pack is always cheaper (?)

Just as an aside, I get very crabby about wildly different reference units used in ‘unit’ pricing. My recollection is that one of the compromises made in order to bring in unit pricing is that the seller is allowed to use any ‘reasonable’ reference unit. Call me a cynic, but I suspect that the unit price using smaller reference amounts is used for the more expensive items. e.g. unit prices for salmon are provided as “so much per 100g” but sandwich ham is provided as "so much per kilo’. To me this is intentionally misleading.

1 Like

Have to admit I’m ok with that, since usually it is proportional to the price segment. And kilo easily divisible to 100 grams

The one that bugs me most is
Price per sheet, paper towels some sheets are 10cm but others 15cm or 20cm
The price per sheet is quite unfair and incomparable. Should be priced in total package length price per square metre or at least linear metre.

Another is price per unit/item/slice/serve when a comparison brand produxt price is measured in mass/volume kilo/grams/ml. I see this a lot in pet foods, and multi packs of soft drinks and multi packs individual food pouches.

1 Like

With sale prices it can get even more confusing without unit pricing.

1 Like

Cadbury is the new winner of sketchy unit measurement
The glass and half milk campaign branding is back.
Prominently declared on the adverts, but obviously the blocks are no longer 200grams where the association was built for decades
the fine print disclaimer is glass and a half per 200grams to cover for the customer’s presumed association

But obviously this is arguably misleading because should more be more accurately glass and a 1/8 since there decades or possibly century metric was measured per block

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It was the 250g blocks it originally referred to in metric (they had 250g just after metrication) then the 227g bar (closest to the original 1/2 lb bar), not the 220g or even the later 200g block and now the 180g which was again later in the shrinking chocolate bar saga, to be honest it was a glass and a half before we went metric so referred to a 1/2 pound bar. In the EU the use of the glass and a half was banned as it was considered too vague a measurement. Cadbury I think they liked nice round numbers on the bars weights so stick with 0s on the end of the weights. Daniel Peter a friend of Henri Nestle used condensed milk (created by Henri Nestle) to successfully create milk chocolate in 1875. Cadbury just used the idea/invention to produce their milk chocolate. It, the glass and a half, was a great advertising idea and has been used for about 96 years now. Milk powder is often used now instead of condensed milk, but regardless the milk solids content of a bar of milk chocolate is about 24%-25% of the bar.

A tablespoon of full cream milk powder weighs close to 8g, if a 200g bar of milk chocolate then this contains about 50g of milk solids. A fresh glass and 1/2 (427 ml) equivalent in powdered milk is 4 and 1/2 tablespoons of milk powder so roughly 36g. So you get more than your glass and a half :smile:

1 Like

I kinda remember them being 250g too when glass and half was prominent in packaging and ads, so it seems beyond ethical of them to now put glass and half to 200g prominently on the latest tv commercials for products sold in 165-180g

1 Like

A 160 gram bar with 25% milk solids would still be more than a glass and a half equivalent of fresh milk at around 40g of milk solids in the bar. A bar would need to slip a little under 144g to not quite be a glass and a half at 25% milk solids. I take your point though, as the bars slip in size the quantity of milk solids becomes less in weight. Milk solids are a cheaper component of the bars against what cocoa butter and cocoa solids cost. They may increase the milk solid content and reduce the cocoa content to keep a good margin if cocoa supply remains low and prices remain high. At one time they added vegetable fats to reduce the reliance on cocoa butter so it is not an unrealistic option for them to consider.

2 Likes

Oh get a grip. Discussing a ‘glass and a half’ as though it is actually some real measurement. It is, and has always been, just an advertising spiel. :roll_eyes: