The health effects of ultra-processed food

I just watched the first episode and it is a massive wake up call for anyone who is eating rubbish and/or is overweight.

I was amazed that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed as well as the scathing review he did on both Diabetes Austarlia and Dietiticians Australia.

Anyone who did not see the program would be well advised to watch it on SBS On Demand:

My wife has decided that she will eat cereals for breakfast again and wanted to know what she might like that is healthy. so I simply looked at the Choice website.

Wow. What a variation ranging from 5 star ratings to mere 2 star ratings, the latter obviously being some of the rubbish that Michael Mosely gave a serve to last night.

1 Like

An article which claims that processed foods are OK.

Not quite sure regarding the credibility considering the name of the website.

www.foodprocessing.com.au/

A counterpoint.

2 Likes

Assessing the immediate effect of additive is straight forward. Long term is harder. Some think we benefit from product of gut flora. If we swallow bacteriostatic preservative we will get less of such product
 No-one knows the cause of dementia (eg) so can anyone say anything is harmless in the long term?

The ABC has an interesting article on foods and provides some main food categories which are generally classed as ultraprocessed. It includes

• breakfast cereals
  • protein balls and muesli bars
  • plant based milks
  • breads
  • fruit yoghurts
  • meal bases and sauces
  • processed meats
  • margarines

Many products in these food groups are made using industrial processing methods and contain ingredients you wouldn’t usually find in your home pantry.

I didn’t know that some of these food categories are classed as ultraprocessed. I wonder how many also are surprised by what is on the list.

5 Likes

So does ultra-processed = bad food?

In many cases I would suggest it results in food just as good, but lasts longer, looks better, tastes better, etc.