The Future Economy and its Jobs

I’ve recently read Polanyi’s Great Transformation, which set me thinking about how we got into this mess, how the mess is likely to develop and what we might do to mitigate the harm. Our problem boils down to an excess of Capitalism.

Capitalism is a tool set. The set does not necessarily hold the best tool for every job. Sadly, too many people in positions of influence treat it as a belief system. We end up trying to use hammers to mend watches (figuratively speaking).

The only solutions I’ve come up with involve a great deal of government intervention. Neither of the major political parties seems up to the challenge.

We’re in the insane position of having high unemployment, while there are jobs that obviously need doing. Recycling is one. Crying need and lots of jobs, but nobody’s doing it.

What else? Telecommunications, perhaps? For the mess that’s been made, we should be lynching politicians. Getting to work fixing the mess might be a better option.

Next, an extract from an old post:

All of which requires training and education of the workforce. More jobs!

Of course, first we need leaders worthy of the title. The Lomborg school will whine about the cost, but doing nothing is costing us more - just not in short-term dollars.

1 Like