Internet Security

To see how secure your connection is simply start this application in your browser:

Information provided:

• Your IP addresses
  • DNS Addresses
  • Torrent Address detection
  • Geolocation detection
  • IP Details of your address
  • Geek Details
6 Likes

Nice one Tamas . I use this test quite a bit .:smile_cat:

2 Likes

Very welcome Mike :blush:

2 Likes

This may be very informative for people who speak a foreign language - I do not, it seemed to tell a lot, however I am non the wiser!

1 Like

Quite accurate, and what I expected, although I was surprised it was very close to knowing my home location on the map. It managed to pinpoint me to the nearest town with a post office, so not entirely accurate, but close enough. Iā€™m in South East Tasmania and most websites usually think Iā€™m right up in the Northern end of Tasmania.

It did get my screen resolution completely wrong though by saying my screen was 1000 x 667 from an available screen size of only 936 x 667 whereas in actual fact my screen is 3000 x 2000 from an available screen size of 3000 x 2000, so it didnā€™t even come close on that one. Interestingly enough, if I switch from the Firefox web browser to Chrome then it decides my screen is 1200 x 800 from an available size of 1124 x 80. Itā€™s not measuring window size because Iā€™m browsing with the windows maximised.

Detected information is slightly different between the two web browsers as well. Using Firefox it tells me Iā€™m using Mozilla, Gecko, and Firefox, whereas using Chrome it tells me Iā€™m using Mozilla, AppleWebkit, Chrome, and Safari. No idea where it gets AppleWebKit and Safari from? I know I donā€™t have Safari installed.

1 Like

The Browser information is about the rendering engine used. It is to advise the webpages you visit what the browser will support so the page is rendered correctly using the correct engine. Most will have Mozilla as Firefox, and itā€™s family, is a very common browser. Firefox (Mozilla), & SeaMonkey use the Gecko engine. Chrome and Safari use the Apple Webkit engine.

I donā€™t know what monitor you are using but 3000 X 2000 is a very strange resolution particularly in these days of Widescreen monitors which are mostly 16:9 ratios as opposed to the older 4:3 ratio (the old more square looking screens).

The more reasonably expected resolutions are the roughly 1000 X 667 & the 1124 X 800 ones. Some resolutions are reported in ā€œaverageā€ sizings so that a page can be rendered to look fairly correct with slightly differing screen sizes such as may occur with laptop displays.

4 Likes

As we browse the web we send information to every page we visit. Some of this is so the page/s we visit can send us back the information in a way we can easily understand. So things like where you are, what browser you use, can help present a page you can read. Just imagine you visit a page that is designed for both German and English speaking/reading visitors, if it can tell you are from an English speaking locale it may present the page in English for you, which is handy. The other reason some of this data is collected is so the site can tell who visited it and your settings are useful in determining that.

So the results you saw are part of that profile every page can see about you.

DNS (Domain Name Server) is the address book the web uses to find the page you are looking for, basically it converts a web address like www.microsoft.com into a numeric address the web can understand and find. Some people use a Public DNS such as Googleā€™s, some use the one their ISP (Internet Service Provider) set up for them, and some supply their own such as some companies have.

IP (Internet Protocol address) is your unique address on the web so that other addresses can find you. Some IPs are allocated by your ISP dynamically, that means they issue you an address each time you log on that can change, some addresses are fixed and do not change and these are used a lot by people and businesses who donā€™t want their web address to change.

Knowing what Web browser, what extensions it supports, and your screen resolution helps the web page provider supply the code that your browser uses to display the page properly.

I hope that helps explain some of results you saw.

4 Likes

To Grahroll, Tears came to my eyes in reaction to your caring reply, I am going to study the contents and hopefully retain it all in my grey matter and react accordingly.
I am so used to getting brushed off as being in the too hard basket, as a recent trip to Harvey Norman to get some help on buying a Tablet, the person selling just kept looking and avoiding me, I eventually had enough and left, none the wiser, and ā€œtablet lessā€, anyway I digress, thank you once again.

1 Like

Itā€™s a Microsoft Surfacebook and they have a native resolution of 3000x2000. Neither 16:9 nor 4:3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh ok then that is why. Yes it is 6,000,000 pixel count but for the purposes of the browsers the resolution would be translated to what the system could closely match it to, hence the reduced resolution response which aligns most closely to a 16:9 display.

2 Likes

Here is another good security link to check/test your firewall,browser, whether you have open ports etc. Gibson Research ā€œShields Upā€.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

4 Likes

Very interesting. City location very inaccurate though. Misses by some 200 kms.

Missed mine by 1500 kms :slight_smile: itā€™s only as good as the geo db for your ip address ā€¦

Thanks for the explanation. My geo db not so bad after all.

I tried it with Opera browser set to VPN mode and it came up with location as Texas US and google chrome incognito mode and it got everything right except the location which was shown as Suburb in Sydney when I reside in regional NSW.

Private Browsing (incognito mode in Chrome) does not disguise you to websites. It purely stops your browser from recording cookies permanently (though not Flash Cookies), browsing history, and from keeping temporary Internet files. When you exit private mode your browser deletes all the data except what you downloaded or bookmarked so that the next person using your machine is unable to trace from your computer files where you went (in theory this is what happens, however a smart diagnostician can back track your viewing).

If you want to hide your browsing from the world wide eyes you need to use a variety of various tools including VPNs with perhaps a Live DVD/CD type operating system like TAILS being one of the better tools (https://tails.boum.org/).

3 Likes

There was very little useful information discovered when I clicked on your link, and for this I am grateful that my Nortonā€™s Internet Security is working effectively.
As far as the app goes, it had no idea as to my geographical location - apart from the fact I live in Victoria.

2 Likes

No matter how well you have covered your technical world, if you use the internet it can be a wild and wondrous cowboy-ish place behind the curtains.

Corporate culture at its finest? I am aware that for many years Microsoft only had a single person (he was at executive level) with a significant security vetting. How many companies ā€˜do securityā€™ versus go through motions or donā€™t even do that?

6 Likes

You also need a browser plugin that will in turn falsely report your browser settings such as screen resolution, window resolution, which browser you are using on which OS, language settings etc.

The Electronic Frontier Foundationā€™s (EFFā€™s) Panopticlick provides a fairly minimalist and easy to understand report on what your browser says about you. You can then drill down for additional information.

Edit: since weā€™re talking security, you should also have a look at whether any of your online accounts have been ā€˜pwnedā€™. The website is run by an Australian security researcher, and is used by Firefox and - I think - Google has an agreement to use its data about accounts that have been compromised. You need to enter your email address, but it merely checks this against a database of all known hacked websitesā€™ lists of email addresses. No passwords or anything else required. You can also subscribe to get an immediate notification if your email address is identified in a data leak.

4 Likes

Thanks for reposting the link to https://haveibeenpwned.com/.

Because of your post I was reminded to recheck, and discovered that since my last check one of our addresses was included in a data breach. :frowning_face:

Better to find out and change passwords etc.

7 Likes