Tell us about your home theatre speakers, please

The review says

Wireless subwoofer Integrated”

A wireless subwoofer is a separate box which this model doesn’t have. I think the intention was to say the woofer is integrated in the same cabinet as opposed to linked by wireless in a separate one. There is no point in having it wireless if it is in the same cabinet. An integrated separate box is a nonsense.

Other values of the feature Wireless Subwoofer are “Yes” or “NA”. If I was looking for such a speaker I would want a value of “Yes”. I agree that “Integrated” is somewhat ambiguous, as is “NA”. The question ‘Does it have a wireless subwoofer?’ can be answered yes or no for every model so “NA” cannot be valid. If there is no such speaker the value ought to be “No”. I don’t see any examples with a value of “No” but other models are “Integrated”.

If it was me I would instead call the feature External Bass Speaker. The possible values would be “No”, “Wired” and “Wireless”.

2 Likes

I was being a little facetious in the remark that5 it didn’t have a subwoofer. It would be fairer to say that the unit doesn’t provide the bass response I expected. I should have spent more time evaluating the product elsewhere and not just accept the Choice recommendation.
Other writers were more informative as to the limitations of an in-built subwoofer…

3 Likes

As outlined, if you bought is at one of the major retailer (Officeworks, Harvey Norman, Target, Big W etc), they are all advertised as having a built-in subwoofer…

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/jbl-sb110-2-channel-soundbar-with-built-in-subwoofer-black-injblsb110

This is misleading as the soundbar does not have a build in subwoofer (which Choice indicated in their review). Even the marketing spec sheet doesn’t have such claims. As indicated, if you purchased it on this premise, then you can eturn it to the place of purchase for a refund as the advertising attached to the product is misleading.

1 Like

To get solid base you need a speaker diaphragm of a certain size in an enclosure that does not damp it too much, so the box needs a minimum volume as well room for the driver. There are techniques that allow you to reduce the size of the box depending on how much you want to compromise on volume or where you want to low frequency roll off but with a skinny little bar there are no options that give anything like realistic base.

3 Likes

The sub-woofers could easily fit in the bar, they wouldn’t be powerful in my assessment nor would they stand out unless the bar was dismantled to see where they sit. In the video it indicates they are in the bar and are not a separate item (at 1.59 mins in). Subs do not need to be a separate item but they should have a chamber to produce reverb…which the bar could have that is just small and so not as dramatic in performance as a larger distinct boxed Sub. There is production of 2.5 inch sub woofers particularly for cars and motorcycles but this doesn’t preclude their use in soundbars.

1 Like

Speakers do fit in the bar but they, and the cavity they are in, would not be big enough to produce any significant bass - which was the complaint from the OP. Only a marketeer would call such a thing a woofer much less a subwoofer. By definition a subwoofer operates below the range of the woofer (which is designed to produce low frequency sound).

A 2.5 in speaker is hardly a subwoofer no matter what the vendor says.

3 Likes

What they complained about was twofold. @tjenkins_au first states they don’t have sub-woofers built in but the bar does have them just they seem to not work very well, they then went on to say that there was also no noticeable bass boost.

There are 2.5 inch subs made and this bar supposedly has some selection of them, and from the video it does produce some amount of bass. So it could be that the amount of bass that @tjenkins_au wants is not met (very likely) but it also could be that the speakers have an issue that means that they are not working properly or it could be a mix of both. They could have the bar checked to see if it is faulty by returning it to the retailer and asking for an assessment of it’s performance.

1 Like