Synthetic Engine Oils

Apologies, I appear to have read your post another way.

Agreed there are some significant challenges here.
One relates to the quality, cost and reliability of servicing providers.
A second relates to the recommended servicing requirements, and whether they are reasonable, or excessive.

The motor retail, support and marketing business is a financial beast turning over close to $200B annually. It has had a lifetime of free reign aside from a handful of safety initiatives such as seat belts.

It is a worthy target for consumer scrutiny. The state and national motoring associations seem not to have been active or successful in holding the industry accountable. It is a big ask?

P.S.
I will hold to one point. There is no one size fits all solution for servicing based on time or distance if you wish to optimise the financial outcome.

Worse, is that some owners are happy to extend servicing and neglect maintenance, happy to dump the second hand car before it becomes too self evident. Others pamper their pride and joy and hope to have many trouble free kilometres.

I would not dispute the longer life of the base oil component of a synthetic oil formula.

It is important to also consider the additive package included with the oil package. It has a finite life.

No two cars are identical. No two cars achieve the same number of kilometres exactly the same way.

In that instance it is possible to relate fact or opinion and find examples that match either well. Equally there are as many if not more alternate and contrary examples to hold up.

We service both our cars now once a year only, and are close to 200,000km on both. The oil grades are as per handbook. Neither are a full synthetic product. Distance travelled varies between 10,000km and 15,000km annually. We’ve had two Subaru’s with one happily reaching 150,000km on standard services, while another we know well reached 200,000km on only one annual service once out of warranty. All used non dealer servicing post warranty.

1 Like