Supermarket and other Loyalty Programs

Or cheaper

We do most of our supermarket shopping at Coles with our local Supa IGA getting most of the remainder.

Woollies only get the scraps, namely items which only they have in stock and/or are cheaper.

2 Likes

I’ve got rewards cards at both Woollies and Coles but always shop more at Woolworths as I find it cheaper in SA.

2 Likes

After I have done a shop at Coles, I always get home to find a special offer from Coles of so many free points if I spend X$ in the next few days. It happens regularly and irritates me no end.

3 Likes

It used to happen from time to time, less so recently.

Perhaps the omnipresence of Woolies and lack of Coles ensures disinterest. When it does arise, it’s too late and always deleted.

Ot course when one shops out of district, the interest is renewed. Especially with Coles who seem to think they’ve gained a new friend. Suggesting retail has AI would be too kind a comment.

2 Likes

The weekly Flybuys email arrived this afternoon and all of the 12 items are products that we do buy.

An email also arrived from Woollies generously offering a $10 discount off an online shopping order of $150 or more.

Tell ‘em they’re dreamin’.

1 Like

I get that offer too. As if i would spend 150.00 to get 10.00!!

1 Like

FWIW many companies have ‘rewards’ programs that sell discounted gift cards. One can buy a Colesworth gift card usually at a 5% discount. Other than having to pre-purchase them, and they can be clunky to buy or use or as easy as a debit/credit card, that is already $7.50 off a $150 buy, no adding whilst shopping required and no-overspending needed. The most interested may do both :wink:

4 Likes

I have hundreds of products saved on my Woolies app. Each week I go through the list of items and add the ones I need or have a good promotion to my shopping list.

This list is set for my local store and in store shopping. The products are sorted by aisle.

In the past some items have shown a lower price than the shelf price, but the items have always scanned at the lower price at the checkout.

Recently, i’ve had two items that were discounted on the app, but when I checked out they scanned at the higher shelf price. The first time I was refunded the whole cost of the item as it is their mistake. The last time, after much arguing, I was only offered the difference between the shelf price and the price on the app.

I referred the matter to Fair Trading, but I assume they are toothless when dealing with large companies.

It looks like this is going to keep happening regularly and reduces the usefulness of their shopping app. It’s not my fault if the store hasn’t got around to updating their prices to match what their app shows. I suppose they are hoping that most people won’t notice they’ve been charged a higher price.

5 Likes

I merged your topic into this one. You will find other posts about Woolies.

Whether fair trading will act or yawn, good on you for referring them.

2 Likes

Good on you for being vigilant and diligently checking your receipt.

2 Likes

Well Fair Trading contacted Woolies and arranged for the store manager to meet me to discuss the issue. It took around 45 minutes for him to realise there was an issue with the app, so he got the staff to refund the full price I was charged for the onions, even though i’d already been refunded a partial amount. Also gave me a $20 gift card and has stated that since November 2020, he’s heard a few other complaints about the pricing in the app. Hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

5 Likes

Don’t hold your breath.

Well done and great to hear your good outcome, that should become all Wollies customers’ good outcome as they either fix the app, or more customers read this topic and demand the ‘right price’.

4 Likes

I recently signed up for IGA Rewards and the first offers included the chance to win a holiday.for 5 nights worth $2,300.

Swipe your IGA Rewards card when you shop at Piccones IGA Edmonton, and you could* win a 5 night fly and stay holiday to Cairns, valued at $2,300!

Learn more about our current competition, or head in to Piccones IGA Edmonton today.

Talk about a bus driver’s holiday?

We are not impressed with the recent changes to the Bakers Delight loyalty program.
This is how the company explained what would be happening: https://www.bakersdelight.com.au/2021/02/12/newrewardsprogramcomingsoon/
And here is the new program: https://www.bakersdelight.com.au/doughgetters/

The old loyalty program: you had to spend $30 to get a free product. The free products were limited to 5 bread products listed on the card, although we have always got a high-fibre loaf worth $5, which is more than the other listed items.
The new loyalty program: you have to spend $55 in order to get a $5 voucher!

Another difference: with the old program, there was no date by which you had to redeem the entitlement to your free product after you had acquired 5 stamps.
With the new program, you are required to use your $5 voucher within 14 days from the date of issuance.

1 Like