Sunscreens

Was it the lotion or spray?

There have been many reports of sunburn from spray sunscreen (and roll-ons) as often while it is convenient, a significant amount of the container needs to used to meet the amount required to provide protection. Only a handful of applications (a couple of body applications) are in each spray can/roll-on. Often users think it is away to economise and save sunscreen, but this only leads to under-application resulting in sunburn. As a result, the Cancer Council suggests consumers don’t use spray on sunscreens:

It it was the lotion, around 35mL is needed for an average adult. More if one is larger or taller as skin surface area is greater. 35mL will result in one being white with lotion after application and why it is recommended that one waits 20-30 minutes before sun exposure. This time allows the sunscreen to settle on the skins surface.

If one towels oneself, this removes sunscreen meaning it needs to be reapplied.

Determining why one person got sunburn while another didn’t using a different brand doesn’t necessarily mean the sunscreen was faulty. While the sunscreen could be faulty, often sunburn when using sunscreen is due to underuse (not applying enough), not applying to the whole body evenly and not reapplying when lost. These all can lead to rapid sunburn when UV indexes are high to extreme, which is common this time of year.

2 Likes

I think this is very important to consider: the right sunscreen for us includes finding the right one for our skin type and being happy with it we would then (hopefully) use it

The following extract is from Skincancer.org
How to choose the Best Sunscreen for you

People offer many excuses for why they skip sun protection (trust us, we’ve heard them all!), but one of the most common is that they simply don’t like their sunscreen. At The Skin Cancer Foundation, we believe the best sunscreen is the one you’ll actually use, so it’s important to find a product that works for your lifestyle, budget and — perhaps most importantly — your skin type, especially if it’s dry, oily, acne-prone or sensitive. It can be tough to parse through different formulations and ingredients to find your dream sunscreen, but Vivian Bucay, MD, is here to help.

Dr. Bucay stresses that everyone, regardless of skin type or tone, needs sunscreen as a part of their sun protection routine. “Daily sunscreen application is non-negotiable,” she says. “Even when it’s cold or overcast, ultraviolet (UV) rays, which cause skin aging and skin cancer, pass through clouds and can penetrate your skin.”

But which sunscreen should you apply daily? Dr. Bucay breaks down the best options for people with dry, oily or sensitive skin.

If Your Skin Is Dry

Unless you’ve been blessed with perfectly balanced skin that thrives in every environment (lucky you!), you’ve likely dealt with dryness at some point. Those with dry skin may experience tightness, flakiness and more noticeable fine lines. A sunscreen can either combat or exacerbate these issues, depending on the ingredients.

Sunscreen is extra important for those struggling to keep their skin moisturized. “Dry skin usually means a compromised skin barrier, which translates to skin that is more vulnerable to the damaging effects of UV rays,” warns Dr. Bucay. “If you have naturally dry skin or it’s wintertime, choose a moisturizing sunscreen with ingredients such as shea butter or glycerin to combat dryness.”

Dr. Bucay says you can also consider a product with hyaluronic acid, a substance naturally found in the skin that helps retain water. Keep in mind, though, that this ingredient works best when combined with a moisturizing agent that seals in the moisture.

If Your Skin Is Oily or Acne-Prone

People dealing with oily skin complain of clogged pores and excess shine. So you want a sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF) that combats these issues. “An oil-free or mattifying moisturizer may be the best choice,” says Dr. Bucay, adding that these products are also great for humid summer days.

While a sunscreen’s primary function is to protect your skin from UV rays, that’s not all it can do. “Depending on your skin-care concerns, you can choose a moisturizer that will address both sun protection and issues such as uneven skin tone or acne,” says Dr. Bucay. “Many sunscreens on the market today include different combinations of skin-care ingredients, including niacinamide, ceramides and peptides.”

Dr. Bucay notes that niacinamide (vitamin B3) has been shown to be effective in fighting acne and the discoloration it can leave behind. Ceramides and peptides can provide an extra boost to the antiaging properties of a sunscreen.

If Your Skin Is Sensitive

If a lot of ingredients upset your skin, you’re better off choosing a sunscreen with a simpler formulation. “People with sensitive skin may prefer a physical (mineral) sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which are inert and much less likely to irritate the skin,” says Dr. Bucay. “You’ll also want to avoid products with added fragrance, as it can irritate the skin.”

PS my emphasised text.

3 Likes

It may be the product was not up to standard or not used correctly. We don’t know. Was this the first time you have used it? If not did it work well before? Was it in the middle of the day? Four hours from 6 is not the same as 4 hours from 10am.

Perhaps checking if skin is burning every half hour would be more effective than going for hours and hoping all is well, especially if using the first time.

There are too many ways for sunblock alone to go wrong so I wear hats/shirts etc and above all I do not go out in the sun uncovered in the heat of the day, I am off the beach by 10 am sun time, preferably earlier. If swimming in summer I still wear a wetsuit, even if the water is warm, or long sleeved rashie. In my surfing days I wore a hat on a string.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your advice and tips. Despite all this, I still believe that it’s time to test and compare the efficacy of sunscreens. Like every product on the market, I want to buy the one that works best, that does what it says on the label!! Choice - please consider a review

Links to what Choice has said previously about testing sunscreen products.

And concerningly,