Stopping unwanted phone calls

I agree with GraemeK53 about careful not to miss or reject important calls which may not be on our known callers list. One just has to be cautious about answering unsolicited calls.

1 Like

I am lucky, i have left the country and closed my Aus phone acc. No more calls from India, no more fake websites promising a iPhone. And no misuse of my bankcard. I only use my Indonesian bankcard. After the many attacks during Covid, it’s bliss!

I’ve stopped having to talk to them by excluding numbers not in my contact list. Unfortunately this often means that numbers from legit entities cannot contact me (eg hospital re appointments) except if they leave messages. But, if they do, I can return the call. I no longer have a “landline” (aka VoIP, these days) although I do still have some funds in a couple of VoIP providers, none have incoming calls available. But, with mobile so cheap for calls these days, I don’t bother.

Good idea. I got a call today, which my Samsung identified as “Possible Scam Call”. Just for entertainment value, I put on my best R2D2 impersonation, (or maybe it was the robot from Lost In Space) and answered: “Identify”…“Identify”.

They hung up.

2 Likes

Probably Daleks or Cybermen from Dr Who, whose voice I was thinking of.
However, “danger, danger, danger Will Robinson” would do just as well.
BB

2 Likes

There are always exceptions.

I did try to send a reply to her Text Message.
Apparently not possible. :wink:

I believe that political parties are exempt from anti-spam restrictions.

Are there legitimate reasons for that? Yes.

Is everyone convinced that it should be thus? No.

So far both campaigns have ignored me but I work hard to keep my mobile number off distribution lists.

As for the whole postal vote thing … I’ve said it before but … the law should be changed so that the only place you can get a postal vote is the AEC. It shouldn’t be legal for political parties - or anyone else - to be involved in postal votes. However until Lib/Lab changes the law to make that the case, Lib/Lab can continue to involve themselves, legally, in postal votes.

1 Like

I just tell them I’ve spent my donation budget for this year and I return any snail mail to sender with a request written on the envelope that they remove me from their mailing list. I also unsubscribe from the emailed donation requests.

I hardly ever get mail or phone calls now.

2 Likes

The late Dick Tufeld, voice of the Robinson’s robot on Lost In Space, released a cassette tape of greetings for answering machines many years ago. I wonder if anyone ever digitised it…

2 Likes

https://www.zedge.net/find/ringtones/danger%20will%20robinson

It is also available elsewhere.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: By “it” I meant the entire tape which had Dick reading many different lines from both LiS scripts and suggestions from fans.

1 Like

I thought I posted this before but cannot find it, but the absolute best I have seen was a good mate in the USA who recorded the ‘out of service’ tone and announcement.

‘Beep, baap, beep. The number you have dialled is out of service or has been disconnected. [telco name] 101.’

If you knew him, you knew after 30 seconds of silence his machine beeped and he would screen the call and if he was not about it would take a message.

1 Like

I’ll eat a bucket of dirt if nobody anywhere has digitised the Lost in Space robot :robot: voices.
I have a few digitized Three Stooges noises and quotes.

1 Like

I have used The Do Not Call Register a pattern i have found is each time i register my number all calls stop for around 1 to 2 months.After that they start filtering through again.When it gets annoying i just register my number again and everything stops again.Have mentioned this to the D.N.C.R and they said it does not make any difference as i am already registered.I have done this a few times and every time it’s been effective.They must put some sort of code on your line then eventually the code gets broken and calls kick back into action.I use landline only

1 Like

I have a Samsung mobile, and installed an app called HIYA, which is excellent for identifying and rejecting scam, tekemarketing and suspicious callers.

1 Like

No, the DNC register only registers you. Spam calls come and go for many reasons.

4 Likes

There is no technological enforcement of the DNC Register. It relies on the goodwill of marketing companies. In support of that, from ACMA’s web site:

The Do Not Call Register does not block calls, it allows businesses to check their calling lists to remove numbers on the register before making calls.

and again

Does the DNCR ‘block’ numbers to prevent them from calling you?

No, the Register does not have any technological impact on your telephone or fax line and it does not block or physically stop other parties from contacting you.

How your observation might come about is that companies whose compliance is partial and companies whose compliance is basically non-existent are able to probe for recent additions to the Register. So those dodgy companies would deliberately avoid breaking the law with recent additions to the Register but guess rightly that, after a while, people will have forgotten that they are on the Register / are unsure whether their registration has expired1 / are unsure whether they are on the Register.

I note that there never used to be a way of checking whether you are or are not on the Register. Nowadays you can but it’s pretty cumbersome.

It isn’t really possible to enforce the DNC Register for overseas telespammers.

1It used to be the case that expiry was after X years. Nowadays there is no expiry but this change by itself creates uncertainty. I would assume also that the registration does expire if the phone number is reassigned to a different customer.

These days the vast majority of the unwanted calls that I receive are outright scams. The caller really has no reason to care about the DNC Register, since they are already intent on committing more serious crimes.

3 Likes

Some of the reason for the upsurge can be that you have given permission (knowingly or unknowingly) for your details to be shared by an organisation you have a relationship with, to their partners or third parties. They sell these lists of contacts as they are a valuable commodity, think here of Banks, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft and many others who gather your personal information and in their T & C’s and Privacy conditions have your agreement to share your information with others.

Renewing your DNC cancels any currently in place authority but the sale of a new listing voids the DNC registration and allows the sharing.

See the following topic on more about businesses selling/on-selling personal information

2 Likes

Not from my experience.As the question asked by LiamKennedy.I have seemed to found a method that works for me.Believe it or not.Hope that’s helpful LiamKennedy

You may experience a pattern of calls but that does not provide any evidence that the reason for it is the DNC acts as you describe.

There are two reasons the DNC cannot implement such a thing;

• the Act they are established under does not apply at all to overseas callers and
  • the only control action the Act permits is to prosecute local organisations who ignore the register and do not have an exemption.
1 Like