Speed Trap (& Parking) Subterfuge

Metadata is already available to the police if they request it. Now with the retention & retrieval provision now well & truly legislated and in place they could very well start requesting it for the Court cases even in more minor matters eg on the spot fines for phone use infringement that are being contested.

1 Like

And today’s episode of a speed trap parked on the nature strip, facing the wrong way, and hiding between two bushes not far from our home.

1 Like

An article regarding roadworks signs and speeding.

Amazing that they are able to use speed detection devices but are too incompetent and/or disinterested to ensure roadworks signs are clearly visible

What a bunch of complete hypocrites.

Today’s episode of speed trap subterfuge.

I expect that the cops will want to charge the person who recorded it and cut down the bush with illegal damage to public property and/or interfering with a police officer in the excution of their duties.

3 Likes

Yet another case of police breaking the laws and being proud of it with a look at all the speeders we were able to fine. I wonder how it would go if an inattentive driver flattened the bush and the policewoman. The policewoman would probably have been stood down for violating policy?

It is little wonder neither certain police jurisdictions nor governments receive (or deserve) respect.

4 Likes

One instance that I find quite unbelievable.

I’ll admit that decades past one officer with speed camera in hand had located themselves between the dense trees on a wide centre strip of a divided road.

My error for not abruptly observing the 80-60 kph speed change. I was surprised, but not as surprised as the officer who in standard dark blue uniform, early morning sun in my eyes leapt from cover to announce his presence. Lucky he was fleet of foot, or we would have both had some explaining to do? And yes I was in the left hand of several lanes when he ran across the road to complete his intercept. The brakes were already on hard but not enough to avoid an adrenaline rush perhaps. :wink:

4 Likes

Does NSW step up to the most ludicrous speed trap?

5 Likes

How to avoid tolls on your motorbike.

Not recommended.

With NSW deploying intrusive mobile catching cameras I wonder how long it will be before they have exhibitionists driving sans pants, and then how long it will be before there is yet another road rule making it an offence to drive sans ‘suitable attire’ to avoid offending the camera crews.

2 Likes

An article advising that WA will scrap notifing motorists where their mobile speed cameras are located.

No such thing as a list of current locations in Qld or what type of bushes they are hiding behind.

There are 3540 locations in Queensland. Remembering them all when driving may be problematic
however some GPS have locations impeded in one of the data layers.

1 Like

Between drought and bush fires it may be very obvious which bush it might be there are so few remaining.

Certainly in the SE of Qld I rarely see one other than on the major highways and motorways. I do wonder at the argument over revenue gain. The density of traffic with 99.99% moving in mass at less than the speed limit may be self limiting. Perhaps the effect is to ensure the mass as a whole does not accelerate to take off speed, or more importantly the odd weaving speeder is the target?

I accept I am shown to be in the minority of ‘doubters’ re speed cameras that snap a moment in time and send you the fine, but am firmly supportive of red light cameras and have no problems with point-to-point cameras.

I had a staff member (working in Melbourne) from Adelaide. She often got ticketed by speed cameras going to/from her family for holidays and every few years she would lose her license for a while to start the cycle over. I am not aware whether Victoria or South Australian governments ever gave her a certificate of appreciation for her treasury support. AFAIK she never had an accident.

That out of the way, drum roll—
The next step in revenue generating opportunities.

It must be about safety if government claims so and neither governments nor pollies nor their politically appointed beholden senior servants never lie, but the stats indicate the Victorian fatality rate is up about 25% on last year. So the speed cameras must be invaluable at reducing the road toll and even more invaluable about collecting revenue.

The counter argument is that 25% increase would have been higher if not for speed cameras. I suggest any real impact on the road toll is that speed cameras divert money from petrol so the offenders drive less if they don’t earn more or at least enough.

(The graph is a hot link to its source without much of a story with it.)

WA is still maintaing a list of approved sites but deleting the list of current locations.

Qld has never had a list of current locations.

I don’t think you are alone 
 where would the ‘yes ministers’ be if they didn’t have road traffic revenue - it’s about the only part of policing that turns a dollar (actually billions of dollars). I agree with red light cameras more so, but if they were really serious every intersection would have boom gates :wink:

Sadly, real driver training and assessment is still breathtakingly lacking - there are all sorts of hoops and hurdles that seemingly create an arbitrary sense of achievement (a hundred hours of this, a dozen hours of that, 12 months at this level, another 12 at that, wear a little plate so other drivers inherently know how well you drive) - and we are licenced for life essentially, there is no re-testing. How unpopular that would be if re needed to re-certify every few years? (hint: I’d be happy to sit a skills test for 2/4 wheels every 5 years - and even take part in skills maintenance training, eg defensive driving/etc).

But I do get it - the authorities are telling us the truth, the researchers are not in their pockets, it has nothing to do with revenue (you can find billions growing on trees apparently), and ‘towards zero’ does genuinely mean kilometres per hour (ahem) sorry, no I think they would like us to think they mean the road toll 
 it is heading towards zero isn’t it?

5 Likes

A slideshow of the 10 highest over the limit speed camera photos in NSW in 2018/2019.

THe 7 in stolen vehicles probably weren’t too concerned.

1 Like

But the 3 others were much more likely to be concerned. Approx 1/3 in legit drivers is still way too high.

2 Likes

And now this absolute howler.

And they try to defend their revenue raising with this puerile drivel.

"But police have defended the speed camera and said crackdowns on speeding have helped bring down deaths Queensland’s roads.

‘This year we are tracking to have one of the lowest road tolls ever,’ Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan told Nine News."

Too bad if the speeding drivers kill themselves and/or others after passing the speed trap.

And not even being aware of the speed trap until the mail arrives is hardly going to slow anyone down.

Which suggests visible speed detection measures slow drivers down until they have passed? (Pun intended). Is a continual array of speed detection devices along all our main roads the solution?

Zero speeding and low revenue potential, except possibly for drivers not staying alert and paying attention?

P.S.
Locating the camera vehicle on a bicycle path would more than P
 many off, just not road users. Or was there a different target? Without a good decline 20kph is about my comfort level on an urban bike. (Stopping, swerving, pedestrian caution, car door, blind driveway, and blind turning drivers aversion best speed.) I can pedal faster as needed.

2 Likes

Many of the revenue raising departments are pleased with their ever increasing take from motorists who blindly pass cameras at speed+ while claiming the cameras are at accident black spots and generally dangerous areas. If the purpose is to reduce the road toll there, wouldn’t it make perfect sense for the cameras to be visible to slow dangerous driving at those places?

5 Likes