Spam, Junk Mail, Email Scams, Phishing, etc issues

Another attempt using Amazon name. I think the phisher used Google translate. I wonder how many of these people get caught?

2 Likes

I have an accountant that is still emailing for business despite me requesting I know longer want his services and to stop contacting me. Can I please have some advice? Thank you.

1 Like

This ACMA page should help. If you were a customer you implied permission for receiving marketing information related to that business relationship.

Since you are no longer a customer and wish him to stop, each email should have an unsubscribe option; if it does not he could be in breach of the act. There is guidance as well as a complaints link.

5 Likes

Send them a polite email indicating that the email provides formal notice to remove your email address from any marketing or general business correspondence list kept by the accountancy firm. Also advise that any future email communications from them will be treated as an unsolicited email and therefore is spam. Advise if you do receive any future emails, you will be lodging a formal complaint with ACMA and you will be providing them with your email and any correspondence from firm for ACMA to take necessary enforcement action.

Make sure your email goes to a partner/accountant in the firm rather than hitting reply to to a past email you have received. Quite often businesses use a separate un-monitored email address for broadcasting marketing/general business correspondence. If you send to this email address, they may not notice and take action to remove you from their list.

After sending the email, it is likely you won’t hear from them again.

If they don’t cease email communications, lodge a complaint with ACMA with your email and the ‘spam’ from the business you have received.

1 Like

Has anyone else suddenly been spammed by Mosaic Brands (Millers, Rockmans, Noni B, Rivers, Katies, Autograph, W. Lane, Crossroads and Beme) recently?

4 Likes

Spam has been targeted for quite some time. Look for camping equipment and suddenly you get many ads for it. Buy from an organisation and then all their affiliates will target you.

2 Likes

True - but in this instance I had nine emails, one from each of the brands in the Mosaic group, within the space of 48 hours. I’ve never shopped with any of them.

1 Like

not only from email addresses that reflect if it is Millers, Rockmans, Noni B, Rivers, Katies, Autograph, Wombat Lane, Crossroads or BeMe but also from an EziBuy email address
https://news.trend4dm.com/try-before-you-buy-noni-b-snaps-up-ezibuy-for-1-to-boost-online-sales

I did NOT join/subscribe EziBuy but Mosaic have given them my email address. I have forwarded the emails from EziBuy on to the government SPAM support address report@submit.spam.acma.gov.au

4 Likes

Thanks vombatis - that was good to know.

2 Likes

Woollies fined $1 million for spamming people who unsubscribed.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/woolworths-fined-1-million-dollars-for-spamming-customers-with-unwanted-emails/2a14e063-5882-4300-9a79-c94f71dae9aa

Perhaps they better just stick to selling Spam.

2 Likes

Potential Facebook details phishing scam.

I just came across this recommendation on FB

The link looks like a FB page but isn’t.

Clever phishing! Norton SafeWeb has no details on it, so perhaps it’s fairly new?

3 Likes

Have others received these?

I have spammed or blocked number each time but continue to receive more. Likely to Contain a virus? Why?

7 Likes

If you aren’t expecting the ‘promotional phone’, then definitely dodgy, and do not click their links. Keep on deleting and blocking!

7 Likes

Unless it is coming from The Netherlands, the scammers need to learn the English spelling of Packet.

“Who are you?” My response would have been different but I am not allowed to post it here.

4 Likes

It may not contain a virus - they may just direct you to a fake login page to some service, hoping you’ll hand over your logins for the real service to them.

So as others have said, block and don’t interact - it just lets them know your phone is a live target, for future spams/scams.

Email is harder, as the fact you received it has already verified your email address to them. However, most email nowadays has decent spam filtering.

11 Likes

Can’t block them if they change numbers all the time. Thanks for the heads-up on this new scam doing the rounds.

5 Likes

Indeed, my Spams n Scams user record on the phone currently has a score or so numbers attached to it. Not perfect but best available

4 Likes

Because you responded by asking who they were you validated your number as a “real” and active number. Because of this you are more likely to get more garbage sent. Most legit businesses will identify themselves, provide a contact number or some way for you to know who it was from.

Were you expecting a promotional Svmsung (note not a Samsung) phone? These are such old scams, they come by email (and SMS) with such regularity I have an email filter to dump them before they get into my inbox. Sometimes from different addresses and sometimes from the same one over a few days with the same 2nd or 3rd request line or undelivered track and trace stuff eg DHL, AustPost, Fedex. They can’t obviously count how many requests they have sent me. If they don’t get junk filtered by the inbuilt filters in my email program/app they get washed by my extra filters. SMS is no different except it harder to filter this garbage out but it gets deleted on receipt.

6 Likes

Thanks
Is there some way these scammers can be stopped ie their numbers / emails blocked?

3 Likes

The scammers user random or unused phone numbers on their caller id signatures, and insert random email addresses in the from fields.

Some techniques that help are if you can block incoming phone calls and texts to numbers in your contacts list, although in these days of receiving codes for this and that it is all but impossible to know all the possible legitimate incoming caller id numbers so doing that could block legitimate code texts unless you turned off blocking when you were expecting a code, and then always added that known legit number to your contacts.

For email I am familiar with Thunderbird and googlemail, less so with yahoo and outlook mail, but make sure your spam filters at the service are enabled, and if your email client/web service has the option, make sure spam filtering by spamassasin (or similar) is enabled.

4 Likes