Solar storage batteries: Tesla Powerwall and 17 others put to the test

“The short answer is that for most Australian homes, solar panels make economic sense but batteries don’t”

So you are saying (strongly) for most Australian homes batteries do make economic sense.

So do you accept that while your experience has been good others may not share your good fortune, for for some it might make economic sense and others not. You only have your outcome to go on, you have not attempted to model the whole market. If you ask the experts who have modelled the situation I don’t think you will find them saying no households would be economically better off with a battery.

Which still leaves open the original statement that for most homes batteries are not worth it at present.

I am not playing word games for the sake of it just trying to head off the situation where naive buyers might be lead to follow the exception rather than the rule.

As for having more detailed modelling to try to tease out who might or might not benefit I wonder if that is practical. Having just been through the experience of selecting a solar system I can vouch for the complexity of the data, opinions and alternatives that are presented. I suspect that there are some questions that have no answer except for the technically minded few who are prepared to put a great deal of effort into it. For many, generalisations may be the best thing even if not applicable in all situations.

2 Likes