Solar Panel Suppliers and Installers

Welcome @David4yrs,
There are a number of topics on Solar installation in the community. Including Solar and Grid Connections.

Solar Quotes is one web resource that is also worth a look for customer feedback and more detailed technical reviews.

The community may be able to offer further general advice if you are able to share some details of your needs and goals for solar PV.

5 Likes

I see you are in northern Tasmania. We used Same Day Electrical (Ben) and they only use Tier 1 known brand components and have a very good reputation. The inspector who came out said he enjoys inspecting his work as he never finds any issues with his installations…unlike many others he inspects.

Same Day Solar is midrange when it comes to installation costs. Ben will also look at your house and design the system to best meet your needs. Our own install and grid connection when very smoothly and happy to recommend.

Jessops Solar Squad is also another local business in Launceston. They also have a good name and install Tier 1 components. The contact there is Mike. We used Jessops for the installation of some heat pumps and they were also good to deal with, neat and trustworthy.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @David4yrs

I have moved your post to an existing thread which is relevant to your enquiry.

I would also urge you to have a look at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2740376

4 Likes

When we were planning to build a new home in 2012, we were going to install solar and I specifically chose Sunboost panels, as at the time, they were the most efficient and thay had an excellent reputation.

We did not build but bought an existing home and we had solar and battery installed throught the Qld Government grant & loan scheme which meant that we had to use an approved supplier and their choice of products, and Sunboost was not available in our area.

1 Like

You can search with the magnifying glass icon at the upper right for mentions of Sunboost, which will turn up several, including this Fake reviews crackdown

3 Likes

The Federal Government is actually doing something regarding shonky solar installers.

Better late than never?

1 Like

Another depressing article regarding lost opportunities for Australian manufacturing.

Long before BP Solar, there was an Australian company named Solarex Pty Ltd who designed and manufactured 12 volt solar panels in Australia, which we started buying in the late 1970’s.

SOLAREX PTY LTD ACN 001 398 670

Collapse Company Summary #### Company Summary A basic overview of free information that can be downloaded or viewed in PDF form.

Name: SOLAREX PTY LTD
ACN: 001 398 670
ABN: 98 001 398 670(External Link)
Previous state number: 19011520
Previous state of registration: New South Wales
Registration date: 9/09/1976
Next review date: 9/09/2009
Date deregistered: 25/05/2009
Type: Australian Proprietary Company, Limited By Shares
Locality of registered office:

They were probably a global leader of solar panel manufacturing back then but they did not even get a mention in the ABC News article.

4 Likes

If only solar panels could be mined :frowning:

5 Likes

The two statements…

Cheap Chinese panels largely wiped out the local solar manufacturing industry.

and

Also the cost of labour in Australia is fairly high

sum up why large scale mass produced solar panels didn’t take off in Australia, like it did in China.

He says Australia can’t make the cheapest panels, but it can offer better quality customer service, and mitigate “sovereign risk”; the possibility that China will one day stop selling solar panels to Australia.

This requires a change in purchase behaviour by consumers…not chasing the cheapest price for everything but looking at the whole picture. One can only dream that it might happen one day in the future, like it did in the past.

2 Likes

A sidebar seems that China seems to have the technology and the price. Even ‘Made in USA’ has shifted to "USA product made in China’.

One just need trace the history of SunPower. While the US prides itself on not subsidising business like many places (EU, China, etc) it does have a certain process in place to ‘help out’.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2005/er_3.html

and

while the most recent event is a restructure where one subsidiary makes panels, and guess where ‘it’ is going :wink:

5 Likes

We planned to install Sunpower when we were going to build a new home in 2012 as they were rated as the most efficient and had a great reputation.

Great to see Maxeon will not be making them in China.

1 Like

‘Maxeon Solar is headquarters in Singapore and has manufacturing facilities located in France, Malaysia, Mexico, China and the Philippines.

From my 2018 install I learned the P Series are Chinese manufactured panels and from the Sunpower web site, a 2019 entry, I trust you can find a ‘special’ word -

SunPower’s new Oregon facility begins assembly of Performance Series (P-Series) solar panels.

One can easily get dizzy from the spin.

4 Likes

And a great news story regarding Australian technology.

Hopefully it will become an Australian manufavturing reality.

1 Like

Self Explanatory?
Recognition that not enough has been done in recent years and that the industry needs better regulation.

Clean Energy Regulator (the agency), with the support of the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources (DISER), conducted a review into the rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) sector.
The review was called following unprecedented growth in the rooftop solar PV sector and a range of reports of consumer issues including defective installations, misuse of installer accreditation details, and safety and quality concerns.

The agency made 13 recommendations to the Australian Government (12 accepted, one noted) to improve the integrity of the Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (SRES) regulatory framework. The recommendations cover 3 broad themes:

• tightening SRES eligibility requirements for installers
  • tightening SRES eligibility requirements for solar panels and inverters, and
  • promoting better consumer outcomes, including by placing new legal obligations on solar retailers under the SRES.

The Government supports the review’s recommendations, including:

• giving the agency responsibility for setting the rules and frameworks for an installer accreditation scheme and the listing of eligible solar components
  • implementing new and streamlined reporting requirements for installers, solar retailers and manufacturers
  • giving the agency more effective powers to monitor and enforce compliance, including the ability to suspend installers, disqualify retailers and de-list components, and
  • developing consumer information and an online tool to help consumers navigate the rooftop solar PV sector, empowering consumers with the information they need to make informed choices about rooftop solar PV.

Integrity Review of the Rooftop Solar PV Sector

3 Likes

Simply Solar and Storage has been stripped of accreditation. Not a word about the fate of the customers and suppliers who were dudded. Each victim apparently needs to go to court and try to get something back.

4 Likes

@PhilT I am in the process of getting solar panels and have been reading so much and getting so confused with all the technical stuff, I think I am going mad. Many solar providers have rung me as I filled in an online request for info form. I took their names down and checked to see if their website had the Clean Energy Council logo. If the logo is not visible does that mean they are not an approved supplier? I am surprised that SunBoost & SunPower do not have the CEC logo on their website. And when I searched on CEC website, both companies were not found. Can you please give me some advice how to avoid dodgy suppliers? Many thanks

1 Like

Use the Solarquotes website to get trusted installers and quotes. CHOICE have used their advice and they are often referred to on this Community.

5 Likes

More generally the CEC provides 4 types of accreditation relating to Solar PV. Three relate to new grid connected systems,

1. Design
  2. Installation
  3. Design + installation.
    A 4th is intended for electrical work on a Grid connected system, EG maintenance.

Businesses such as SunBoost and SunPower are primarily marketing experts with an advertising budget. They sub-contract out the rest.

@grahroll has suggested approaching SolarQuotes. It’s a common suggestion made by a number who contribute to the community. My advice would be the same. SolarQuotes provide a service that will ensure you receive quotes from local or area specific suppliers.

4 Likes

SolarQuotes.com.au is a gold standard. Do not hesitate to fill in their form to get quotes. Their operational mode is they have quality companies who pay them to get your details to provide bids. You should get 3 good companies responding. Since the company starts out of pocket they will do their best to get your business with a quality quote.

I bought my solar that way and it was a great experience but even with SQ some companies are above the others with solar engineers fronting customers not just a knowledgeable solar salesman. The specification and design are important but the installers (sometimes subcontractors, sometimes employees) make the difference.

You can also post questions to Finn via his web site, and while not always a quick reply they try to be attentive. Lastly the customer reviews there are genuine customers that have used their ‘suppliers’ that respond to the request for quotes.

There are also lots of great companies who do not use SQ to get business, and I met a few in my project but the 3 from SQ were that bit more attentive and when one gets confused or overwhelmed with information, go to SQ.

4 Likes