Solar and Grid Connections

This “Sun Tax” on solar exports is getting closer, of course industry is saying that this won’t be a big effect on customers. One distributor says the export that occurs between 4pm and 9pm will get the best reward at 2.19 c/kWh. My battery is used mostly between those times to limit my draw from the grid, I wouldn’t see this as a benefit at all. Here are some links including the information about AEMC’s determination.

https://www.aemc.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-08/Information%20sheet%20-%20Access,%20pricing%20and%20incentive%20arrangements%20for%20DER_0.pdf

The following link is a very worthwhile read into the lack of justification for the tax. I like the statement "Gray says the other justification for solar export charges – to encourage more electricity self-consumption during the day and exports in the evening – is also an unrealistic outcome in the current market.

“How many working families will be able to shift their main electricity use to the middle of the day and afford a battery so they can export at night?” she asks."…Indeed who?

AUSGRID’s laughable 2,5000 kWh per year limit would be exceeded in my case within a 2 month period at the most and generally within 1 month. One other is citing anything over 5 kW in any hour will see the tax being levied. Again during the day this would be surpassed nearly every hour by our household. Another is saying set your export limit during peak to 1.37 kW per hour to avoid the penalty. Nothing about this is good for consumers, it certainly benefits the large generators in the power industry.

2 Likes