Smart TVs: Apps/Function Issues

We have 3 Sony LCD Tv’s and 2 Sony Blu Ray players, all purchased before 2012, which I used to use for watching SBS On Demand and various food networks.

When I tried to do so again in February, each device displayed a message that an update was required and it would not perform without it, so I updated them.

As soon as the updates were completed, each device would only display ABC iView, Nine and a couple of other things.

I sent the following message to Sony but I never received the courtesy of a reply.

“We have KDL40EX700 & KDL32CX520 TV’s and BPDS370 & BDPS380 players.
When I tried to watch SBS On Demand today, the BDPS370 wanted an update done.
After the update, it no longer has SBS or most other previous programs available.
I then tried using the BDPS370 with exactly the same experience and result.
I also tried both TV’s and they no longer have SBS or most other programs available.
I see that SBS On Demand website only lists Sony TV and BD from 2012 as useable.
Why have these updates been provided which has destroyed my ability to watch catch- up TV?
Is this a scheme to try to force your customers to update?
I will now watch the first 2 episodes of Knightfall on my Sony laptop with a magnifying glass.
Not happy.”

From what I discovered with Google searches, it appeared the issue was to do with content licensing, and it appeared that older devices were less secure in preventing copying of programs.

Extremely annoying and most disappointing to say the least.

6 Likes