'Smart' TV Tests

I must be missing something. Is @Waldorf the member you mean? I see questions about the OS but not WiFi.

That link should go to @bonguz post about his rellies in-built TV Wifi problem.

Yes, Our needs can vary.

• How many consumers want to buy the most highly recommended, assuming price is not a factor?
  • How many consumers have decided in advance on the screen size and budget ahead of purchase?
    Is it the second who are more typical? Especially when they see through the ego driven spin of sales speak with the help of an impartial review.

The Choice reviews do need to be able to deliver positive outcomes for more than just one group of consumers. For those who are budget conscious, the final purchase decision is likely a compromise. Worthwhile if each product review can also meet the budget conscious - with a best value award or through filters.

1 Like

Our TV test method includes the use of Wi-Fi to do the initial set up of the TV, and apply the latest firmware. Tests of streaming etc, are also usually conducted using Wi-Fi. If for some reason, ethernet has to be used instead, then a relevant profile point is included for that model.

We have a separate network dedicated to testing of Digital Home products, so that we can be certain that we are getting a level of throughput that is not at the mercy of other users in the building.

4 Likes

Begging the question, does it include a ‘quality of Wifi’ aspect and can that be published? Perhaps reducing the Wifi signal to the point the TV starts degrading and ranking/scoring it? We had a PVR not that long ago that could not reliably work with a Wifi AP that was more than 1m away - fortunately a cable was easy and we did.

Obviously looking at the experience @bonguz posted about that might be more common than ‘we’ think.

2 Likes

Another beauty we resolved by trial and error, one of our Sony TVs (Wifi connected) kept turning itself on and Sony was zero assistance. We otherwise liked the TV so played and played and discovered setting a static IP resolved it. I do not underestimate the odd things you folks can experience in the lab, but we consumers are always the ultimate testers and find even more. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It doesn’t. To be able to provide such a measurement, we would need a RF-shielded space in which to conduct the test. We had one in the building years ago, that used to be used for radio tests. It was far too small to be used for TV testing ( and was eventually removed ).

You could think of our test as being ‘real-world’. We connect the TV to our lab WLAN, but that WLAN exists in an environment where there are many other wireless networks. The vast majority of TVs exhibit no issues with their Wi-Fi. In fact, the last issue I recall was with a TV that artificially limited the password length when connecting to a wireless network.

I’ve not encountered any issues with recent Samsung models, and at a guess, I would suspect that the TV in question may have a fault, rather than there being a design issue with that model.

Of course, the very nature of testing as many new models as possible, means that we are limited in the time that we spend with any one of them. This is where the CHOICE Community really helps, in bringing to light issues that only become apparent after extended use, or that may be due to unusual environmental conditions etc.

4 Likes

Hi,

yesterday I talked to a friend who is working for an IT company. I brought up my recent issues with the TV and he was not surprised. They recently installed a lot of TVs for a big hotel. The kind of TVs that hang in the hallways and show some sort of information. Out of 20 TVs, at least 5 could not connect via wifi. Sometimes one TV would connect fine, but the other TV 30 cm away would not get enough signal. They resolved this issue by using ethernet cable instead.

Based on this anecdotal evidence, it might be a common problem after all.

1 Like

Is there any further detail in the brand and model of Flat Screens, the hotel anecdote is referencing?

If it is a ‘common’ problem, might we expect this topic to be quickly adding similar from others in the community?

1 Like