Skechers Shoes - which models should Australian Consumers assess with care before purchase?

A more relevant one for some of the members participating in this topic is

With over one in four Americans age 65+ falling each year, NCOA provides facts, tools, and fall prevention strategies to help keep you safe.

Medicare there is a far different program than our own.

1 Like

I purchased a pair of Sketches GoWalk slip ins for a holiday in the UK last September because the Sketches sales assistant told me theyā€™d be good for walking. I didnā€™t wear them much as it was hot and I wore sandals most of the time.

In March this year, I started wearing them all the time for work and leisure and the tripping started. Usually the toe caught on the smooth floor at the supermarket but the trolly stopped me from falling. Iā€™ve also had a couple of near misses at home on the tiles.

But today as I was walking to the car, my shoe toe caught on the dry textured patterned concrete driveway and I had nothing to grab to stop the fall. I fell forward heavily onto my knees, elbows and wrists and had difficulty getting up without help from my family. Tonight I feel like Iā€™ve been run over by a steam roller and every bone in my back and hips plus knees and shins are paining.

I thought it was me being a klutz but suspected more as I was walking normally and I felt the toe grip the concrete like it was glued to it. Iā€™m grateful to all those who commented here because now I know itā€™s not me.

These shoes werenā€™t cheap and Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s a chance of a refund because in my opinion, they are dangerous and not fit for purpose. I wonā€™t be wearing them from now on, which is a shame as they are so comfortable.

Iā€™m conscious of not falling as Iā€™m 69 and know falls are more common as we age. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @AnnieBannie

Sorry to hear that you have had a similarly bad experience to the other members posting on this topic, both local and from the USA. There has been no ā€˜magicā€™ offered to guide people having bad experiences with the GoWalks.

You could approach Sketchers, starting with the retailer you bought your shoes from seeking a refund or credit toward a safer and more acceptable pair as this model seems to be unsuitable for some people, while others seemingly have no issues with them. If fobbed off you could then try a formal and well researched ā€˜letter of complaintā€™ (search the Community for links and advice about writing one). If you do that please update what you do and how you go with it.

In the absence of an acceptable response or an uprising of Australians having had serious falls that could be attributed to them and a class action, moving on and disposing of the shoes seems to be the other way ahead.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so glad to have come across this discussion thread. When I started tripping in my Skechers, I thought it was me.

Iā€™ve been wearing GoWalk shoes and find them incredibly comfortable. I donā€™t recall having trouble with tripping with the first 2 pairs, but earlier this year retired my worn-out 2nd pair and pulled out the 2 new pairs I bought on sale a little over a year ago. Like many other people here, I started tripping (wearing either of the 2 new pairs). The front/toe catches and sends me pitching forward. Itā€™s happened on highly polished floors, paved footpaths and carpeting (no trouble on grass or gravel). I havenā€™t actually fallen, but came very close a couple of times recently.

3 Likes

I have a pair of Sketches slippers and are great.As Phil says as the older you get the more of a chance at falling.Iā€™m on the younger scale and have had no issues.

Shoes may be designed to do all sorts of things like grabbing at certain points in your step, but the point here is that if the shoe doesnā€™t carry you safely, ditch it before it lets you down. No matter how comfortable it feels, or how much you paid for it, or how pretty it looks, itā€™s not worth dicing with a fall. My Mum broke her hip when the front of her sandal caught on a kerb.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had about three bad falls and a few stumbles in my Sketchers Goga Max and the thong type Sketchers at the local shopping centre. The tiles are smooth and I thought it was just me but after finding this community online Iā€™ll be throwing them all away. I have a couple new pairs I havenā€™t even worn yet. Sketchers need to acknowledge the problem and do something about the soles of these shoes. I agree they are dangerous. My last fall was only a few days ago. I was with my brother and he said I went straight down. I was lucky not to hit my head on the tiles. I have a huge bruise on my left knee though.

4 Likes

Hi @LynnyB, Welcome to the community.

Having those falls, injury and near misses, how worrying?

Sketchers are a product Iā€™m not all that familiar with outside of the issues raised in this topic. Without being critical of the product, curiosity is to ask what is it that attracts consumers to their products?

What are the needs, justifications or reasons consumers relied on when they chose the product over others? In particular for older customers or those with a particular need.

I prefer light weight footwear that is comfortable to walk in on hard pavements, are not loose on my feet and easy to lace up. I only have one pair of quality orthopaedic joggers at any one time. Iā€™m possibly not that fashion conscious, and have only the one colour and style. Anything out does the gummies or work boots that usually pass for my outdoor foot wear. Thatā€™s just me. I find my choice of joggers last several years before relegation to not so good wear. Looking to Sketchers promotions I noticed they offer many benefits at very reasonable prices. I might afford 3 or 4 pairs for the price of what are on my feet today. Are they really that wonderful? I noticed many of the top hits on the web supporting positive comments come from retailers offering their products?

Iā€™ve also noted what others have had to say about their personal experiences in this topic.

A friend of mine fell a couple of weeks ago while wearing her Skechers when they grabbed on the path. She now has a fracture in the left hip on which she had only recently had a hip replacement.

2 Likes

I have had issues on some surfaces where it grips going forward. Some tiles and footpaths are horrible to walk on and if wet. Or painted surfaces like rosdcpaint slippery. Whilst are comfortable to wear. I think i have go walk pair. No other brands of shoes have ever been like them as a brand for slippery soles. Im not confident buying again,

1 Like

As a contrast, I bought some skechers shoes because they are very comfortable and lightweight. One pair I bought specifically for the grippy sole to be used as boat shoes, and they work very well. Dry quickly if wet.

Maybe some walkers would have problems wearing grippy soled shoes no matter what the brand.

1 Like

I have the exact same problem with my Skechers. I was wondering if it was the way I was walking but so glad to find this thread. Itā€™s always the front bit sticking/catching on the ground! These shoes are dangerous!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Lozza44

Some also comment they have found the shoes slippery, or that the shoe tends to stick/catch at the front on certain surfaces.

Do you know which model or style you purchased so others can be made are aware. Sketchers produce a variety of styles and have regularly updated the patterns.

1 Like

I know what you mean - I thought it was me, too. I was tripping 2-3 times a day and seemed to be getting worse. But I stopped wearing my skechers 4 weeks ago and havenā€™t tripped since.

1 Like

Iā€™m sat here with an ice pack on my right knee, fell over in the supermarket
The guy in front of me at the checkout stopped suddenly, the front of the right sole grabbed to concrete floor so I was dumped on the floor.
Similar thing happened when walking the dog a couple of weeks ago.
Ā£80 or they are destined for the bin

2 Likes

I also tripped 3 days ago whilst wearing go walk and broke my arm.
Not the first time these shoes have gripped and caused a fall but definitely the last time now . Never will i recommend them again.

2 Likes

Hi,

I fell this past Sunday, June 30, 2023 while wearing a pair of women walking Skechers. I had stumbled in times past while wearing them, and also while wearing another type of Skechers (an older pair). However, I had never actually fallen until this last Sunday. Iā€™m 60 years old, & itā€™s not the same as when you fall as a youth.

One of our young adult children was in the ICU at a hospital because he was the victim of a random gunshot to his head while just driving his usual route thru a neighboring town, on his way home. Thatā€™s why I was at the hospital.

I was headed to use the restroom when my Skechers just came to a stop as if Iā€™d steeped on glue. They stopped while I was walking forward, I was thrusted forward as if I was running, and I couldnā€™t stop. I fell to the hard concrete floor and it caused a big knot & a bruise on the left side of my tempura area, underneath my eyebrow, & on my cheek, & my left shoulder. My right knee was swollen & painful & my right toe(s) were fractured. I was in alot of pain. Dr. gave me a boot to wear & crutches to use when I walk.

I have no doubt my fall was caused by those Skechers shoes. None of my other sneakers have done that when Iā€™ve worn them. Those shoes are dangerous. When I got home from the hospital, I thought to myself that as bad as those shoes are sticking to the floor & caused me to fall, there had to have happened to some other folks.

So, I looked online and sure enough, I saw that there had been law suits filed on behalf of people who were wearing another type. My experience is that itā€™s not just one type of Skechers, but itā€™s more of their shoes, especially the slip on kind.
If youā€™re an attorney reading this, we need your help! Something has to be done before more people (especially senior citizens) get injured.

1 Like

For clarity this forum is Australian and @Onthego2 appears to be one of the numerous American members this topic has attracted.

That search may be best made on an appropriate US forum. Australia has a different legal and regulatory situation. It is neither obvious nor expected any of our members here are American lawyers.

3 Likes

Okay, thank you. I didnā€™t realize that.

3 Likes

I have worn skechers also and in wet weather cwn slip especially if paths are ultra smooth like the edges or some tiles. Not sure why.