Shrinking pack sizes and supermarket pricing oddities

Aldi reduces the size of their chocolates but not the price.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/aldi-size-reduced-price-same/092a7bcb-dda8-4470-ac8d-524a3221fb47

1 Like

A report via Facebook about the shrinking Dynamo product range:

5 Likes

But one is labelled Professional, the other is just plain old Dynamo. Is there a difference if so then maybe not shrinkage??

I don’t know the formulation so I can’t comment beyond the difference in names on the labels as shown in the pic.

3 Likes

Not quite the same ingredients.

https://www.henkel.com.au/resource/blob/846974/7efe857959a15402c66bd385fe2d3495/dynamo-nz--from-apr-2018--data.pdf

‘Professional’ ingredient differences.

• has ethanol as a solvent vs propylene glycol as a solvent
  • adds polypropylene terephthalate as a soil release agent.
  • looses sodium chloride (salt) used as a thickening agent
  • looses isothiazolinones used as a preservative

No diamond dust or gold leaf, but it is ‘lower salt’?

All the other ingredients are the same. The recommended dose is the same for both versions. IE one 50ml cap full for a standard load and 1.5 for heavy/dirty.

Woolies on line only sell the ‘Professional’ labelled product. Upgraded marketing with a down graded package size? Currently on special at half price for the 900ml and 1.8l packs or $22 for the 3.6l container.

The real question is does it perform any better in a choice test to justify what appears to be a cost increase per wash?

3 Likes

I buy those eggs regularly, knowing that I am getting 10, not 12. They are quite a bit larger than standard jumbo weight.

Aldi - Good, Different. Neither applies in that example.

Coles this week has Violet Crumble (bars and packs) at half price - the same as last week. Normally around half the items in the chocolate bar category (Crunchy, Mars, etc.) are full price one week in the fortnight and half price for the other week, while the other half are similarly priced on the alternating weeks - so they are now confusing me.

4 Likes

Don’t miss the new Violet Crumble Dark Chocolate.

3 Likes

An occasional treat we only purchase if they are half price. Fortunately they are not half price all the time. We’d buy them all the time and risk looking like :teddy_bear:.

2 Likes

I can remember when Birdseye Fish Fillets (and other brands, too) were the same width as the box, and 6 of them fitted into the box, not tightly, but certainly not being able to rattle around like the current product. Shame.

4 Likes

Not defending over-packaging, or packaging air, but I venture to think a large part of the packaging problem is that boxes seem to have some standardised sizes. When a company changes the product size they cannot rationally (economically) change the box size willy nilly. There is the manufacturing issue as well as their relationship with the groceries that pack shelves and groups products to fit their displays.

If boxes were changing it would create a marketing problem (they use over-sized because consumers seem to respond well) as well as potentially empty appearing shelf spaces as new stock was rolled in to replace old that would also call out the reduction in a visible manner,.

Over the past few years few frozen food prices have risen largely because the contents has been reduced, but not reduced so that it will fit in a smaller box, and a smaller box would call attention to it. It is how marketing works for better or worse.

4 Likes

Much more often our worse and their better. Thus the move to greater duplicity as I see it (they may not be duplicitous but I am very sceptical).

2 Likes

When the price sticker says “REDUCED”, they are not always talking about the price!

:laughing:

5 Likes

Bahahahahaha! Clearly not.!

1 Like

To be fair, what Woolworths had the audacity to advertise with a big label on the shelf as NEW (on the right, with the words ‘pack size’ in much smaller letters) is cheaper overall, but from memory a similar unit price 

7 Likes

I’m calling that deceptive. Customers who know the product will work it out immediately, but to everyone else ? Mil Lel admit on the box it is just a “NEW 170g Size” but Woolworths have misled 

7 Likes

At least they aren’t advertising it as a “reduced price” (due to the smaller packet).

4 Likes

@Janette Smaller block but not the same product! The larger is grade 3 medium, whilst the smaller is grade 4 (longer maturation?) strong flavour meaning you may well use less for the same flavour hit.

4 Likes

The ‘new’ packaging for my cats’ dental treats caught my eye so I compared the old pack to the new one. The difference was from 71g down to 62g (for the same price). My calculations suggest this is more than 12% less? The staff member I showed it to hadn’t noticed. I bought the 4 ‘old’ packs that remained.

6 Likes

Are you able to share the brand and manufacturer (eg Uncle Bens)?

Pack shots of either or both are always welcome. For those unfamiliar The little mountain and sun icon in the top bar when creating a new post allows pics to be imported or added from your device or accessible directory.

2 Likes