Should we name our car?

Welcome @Bel!
Such interesting and fun names!

3 Likes

My car is a Holden VT Executive, and it’s got 41,000 on the clock I love it But I miss cruise control. I have been offered 8,000 as it is in great condition.I am thinking about it as I only drive it in and out of town, never been anywhere else.

2 Likes

Someone’s getting an absolute bargain at $8,000. I’d buy it at that price and install an after-market cruise control. This is something you might want to look into yourself. Google “aftermarket cruise control site:.au”. You could pay less than $1,000 and get to keep the car you love. The sort of car you have, in the condition it is, is VERY rare. Don’t give it away TOO easily. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Most my cars have been boys, Silver Surfer, Blue Boy and currently, Wee Beastie. The girls
El Putana and The Flying Ovary. My mum has had a mix, Bruce, Scarlet, Rosemary and Tom

3 Likes

I might think about that I have a friend that could install it.

2 Likes

In NZ I had a personalised number plate PH 7 so I used to call the car (Rover 2000) - “Neutral”. that was its best gear!

4 Likes

:joy:
But it did it with true British aplomb, and style. :wink:

3 Likes

Many years ago I heard of a family that had two cars. One was called ‘Umbrage’ and the other was named ‘High Dudgeon’.
So they could either take Umbrage or go out in High Dudgeon.

2 Likes

Welcome @Pete38!

Hilarious :laughing:

1 Like

One of our daughters decided that Clotilde was appropriate as a name for our old Peugeot 504. Successors have all been “it”. I suppose our new EV should be Evie!

2 Likes

I once saw a Holden ute ,which was a brownie orange colour and its no plate was “Glugg” I laughed my head off .I was proberbley the only person on that free way who knew what it meant .In the 70s you could buy frozen flavoured ice blocks .They were called SunnyBoys, Razzes and Glugs,sunnyboys were orange ,razzes were red and Glugs were a burnt orange colour re Holden Ute.

3 Likes

My Honda HRV is sometimes called Harvey. A bit obvious, perhaps. This thread reminds me of one of the best personalised plates I have seen: BAA BAA on a jeep painted black

4 Likes

I, although I am female, am not into “cute/affectionate” and clearly neither is my husband! Definitely have never named any of my cars which have always been known as “the car” or by brand if distinguishing between the family cars when we still had more than one. I don’t think of them as a gender but if I did it would definitely not be female. Signed Boring as a Brick Wall.

4 Likes

Each and every one of my cars has had a name. Apologies to anyone who falls asleep reading these

In order of ownership:

• Wolfgang (VW)
  • Mitzi (Mazda)
  • Jim (Mitsubishi - Jim was a bastardisation/abbreviation of the French word for ginger)
  • Enza I (Alfa Romeo)
  • Inga (Saab)
  • Nugget (Nissan - it was gold in colour)
  • Enza II (FIAT)
  • Kerropi (Toyota - it was green, named after a Japanese frog)
  • Choclo (Honda - yellow and reminded me of a corn cob)
  • Kylie (Toyota - bought from a surfer girl of the same name)
  • Sayuri (Nissan - named for a character in a book)
  • Satoko (Nissan - named for a character in a TV series)
  • Shii (Nissan - named for a character in a web video)
  • Rena (Nissan - named for a character in a TV series)
7 Likes

My Nissan Urvan E24 is Lancelot the V . Fifth Van I have owned . My Baleno RS car is Grau Sheisse 111 .Third grey car I have owned .

5 Likes

I bought a car for the kids to learn to drive. They wanted to learn in a manual and all 3 mastered it no problems. The manual Hyundai was called " Manny".
The next learner car was a maroon Ford focus. It was Ruby. When the two girls needed a car each we bought a Holden Astra named Astro. Mums car is a Mitsubishi outlander red in colour, known as Big Red. I drive a Jeep grand cherokee. All it gets is “THE JEEP”. Son has had a few Ute’s in trade work but they never got names. Although he loves them to pieces washing them all the time. Takes wheels off to properly clean them. He never named one.

5 Likes

When hydrogen powered vehicles are common place, what will the clapped out ones be called?

Hydrogen bombs?

3 Likes

I saw a green Saab with the registration Wasaabi. +1

1 Like

Well a wasaabi (two a’s) was a special racing type of Saab. On the other hand wasabi (one a) is usually green in colour and pretty hot in taste.
I suspect it was a play on the Saab name.

1 Like

I suspect you’re right. Thanks for explaining.

1 Like