Should CHOICE reviews place more emphasis on energy efficiency?

I’ve found the same. It’s about matching a purchase and needs. One can look first to the Choice recommended products. There is typically a number to choose from. If one or more meet needs it is an easier decision.

If none do, the model comparison tool is very useful. To best use I select 2 of the recommended models that are closest to needs. To these I add the models next down the list that best meet needs. Any compromises in choosing models with lesser Choice ratings are identifiable. Sometimes making the comparisons questions needs. IE Is a particular feature that has eliminated the Choice higher recommended products all that important?

P.S.
When it comes to energy, the Choice reviews include comparative data for major household appliances. Including the base data for each model may be useful for some members. Agree,

Daily household product usage and electrical energy consumption varies between homes. The Choice reviews offer direct comparisons on the same basis for energy consumption. It’s understood to be a guide. In our household what impacts energy usage, greatest to least?

1. Air Conditioners
  2. Hot water
  3. Cooking - meals
  4. Refrigerator
  5. House water pump and UV
  6. Dishwasher (daily)
  7. Washing for 2 (line dried)
  8. Fans and lighting
  9. TV 4-5hrs daily
  10. Connected devices, charging etc

If we had a powered Waste Water Treatment Plant it would push in to the spot between no’s 4 and 5.

Using Choice’s reviews and guides it’s possible to make informed decisions relating to consumer products in 8 of the groupings. The first priority in selecting a product has always been whether it performs as needed.

3 Likes