Secrecy, privacy, security, intrusion

100% privacy - wouldn’t that be nice :wink: world peace, eternal life and a bottomless ice-cream tub are also on my list …

3 Likes

How then how would you know you ever existed?

Hardly seems relevant. :rofl:

I had not previously heard of Epic. A review, and a review of Brave for day-to-day use, would be very handy. (I must admit that Epic’s Indian origin does worry me a little.)

1 Like

A sample of reviews that include info about Epic. One is a little dated but much of what it looks at is still relevant:

Current version (32 bit engine) is 80.0.3987.87 and if wanted should be downloaded from the Epic site.

4 Likes

Of course, nothing like this could ever happen in Australia:

3 Likes

Funny that, not so funny this.

His calls are essentially to claim he has widespread support, not that he is whitewashing what he is doing as well as ramming it through.

4 Likes

I thought all our driver’s licence photos are already being put into a central database?!

3 Likes

Not all states have a Driver’s Licence - some have a Driver Licence, which is more technically correct I’d contend - but that may be a little pedantic :wink:

1 Like

Thats why I switched from PC to Mac 16 years ago. It always seemed to me I was spending more time keeping up with security stuff, than actually using the computer. I just got sick to death of it. Then, the nasty people decided that Macs were worth going after. Its not so intense, though, as it was on PC.

1 Like

Apropos of nothing in particular, except that Brave has been mentioned here before.

Nothing to do with privacy, but convenient.

My experience with the browser so far is positive. Sometimes a little slower than Epic, but more stable on Windows 10.

1 Like

I’ve installed Brave a few times and then send it on its way because I have so many bookmarks in safari and there doesnt seem to be a way to import to Brave. Perhaps I need to look more closely.

The US demonstrates how successful mass surveillance can be. Its prime benefit seems to be moving money from tax payer pockets to other pockets, pretending they are protecting a country, and, well, make you own conclusions if Scotty and his mob and especially one Peter Dutton seem to be of the same ilk.

3 Likes

I don’t know about Safari, but most browsers can export bookmarks to a html file. Brave can import that file. It isn’t straightforward, but it can be done.

Safari does have a facility to export bookmarks. I’ve used it on Mac.

3 Likes

Yeah I know I can export, as long as I use a computer. I was hoping to avoid that step. Oh well…

1 Like

Another way to trap our identities that has all the hallmarks of an almost universal identity card. Photo ID optional.

What does the Government think?
The RBA sees it as one way of helping all of us.

The RBA has been a strong advocate of the need for an Australian-issued digital ID credential in the financial services sector amid ballooning online fraud losses that are increasingly coming from peoples’ bank accounts.

3 Likes

No connection to this of course …

6 Likes

Connects with “secrecy” though since it makes it less likely that governments and political parties can get away with removing embarrassing documents. It will be as if the document never got removed, which is of course the reality of the internet. Once it is out there, there is no getting a document back in the bottle. Applies as much to individuals.

2 Likes

I’ve made Brave my default browser and will be uninstalling Epic. What some other supposedly privacy-friendly browsers get up to is a bit disappointing.

2 Likes