Secrecy, privacy, security, intrusion

High level security, Russian style.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/russia-doomsday-plane-electronic-manuals-stolen-from-nuclear-defence-aircraft/bf5692a5-52b3-44aa-9ff8-96179233c854

Hopefully, the thieves cannot conduct their own missile launches.

1 Like

One more change already under way! :thinking:

Supposedly an improvement in security the system relies on digital imaging technology. Something some of us may know of from the latest digital Aussie Passports and travelling OS.

It may assist the government in reducing the creation of fake IDā€™s. Or does it simply ensure the fake ID has the image of a real person?

ITNews mentions a raft of supporting legislation and expansion to State run and other services aside from MyGov. More details might explain how the Government can assure the integrity of the system, not for government purposes, but against personal risk.

2 Likes

When we purchased our current residence some 6 years ago, the owner, who we have never met, went to some very strange lenghts to hide herself.

She had moved out of the house and we inspected it with our agent and her agent just after her original contract fell over, and we bought it that day, subject to all the usual checks.

The copies of the tax invoices for the built-in appliances still under warranty had her mobile number blanked out but she had obviously forgotten that it was also on the REIQ contract documents.

She provided no forwarding address so that any mail that arrived for her was RTS or WPB as applicableā€¦

Internode told us that we could not get the landline number that had been at the house, which was an easy to remember one, but assigned another easy to remember number to us.

I happened to Google the previous number and I was amazed at the various hits that I saw including-

-A list of names, addresses and landline numbers in our area.

-Copies of emails exchanged by the previous owner and a person who was at a confereence she attended

-An ad for a memorial service for her late husband.

-An inquiry with a dating site.

As they say ā€œYou can run but you cannot hideā€ and ā€œThe best laid plans of mice and menā€.

3 Likes

Fine tune the legislation to sleazy perfection?

2 Likes

What a surprise this (not)

In the early days well before the internet and most everything we take for granted ā€˜computerā€™, a security test for certain ā€˜government sitesā€™ was to monitor the power and water going into a facility. The ā€˜gameā€™ was most sites did not have significant computers, but a few did. If the test identified a site as having a computer it was a security fail.

This was in the day of single CPU 2 MB mainframes that individually used 100KW backed with motor generators and water cooled freon A/C exchangers that consumed even more power. Heavy stuff in the times, all puns intended.

It was about secrecy that contributed to physical protection from incoming missiles and terrorist attacks by keeping the site secret.

4 Likes

The first step in this process involves getting malware onto the isolated hardware.

As soon as you have achieved this, you can say game over. Data exfiltration from an air-gapped device can be via this method using the RAM bus, or other methods demonstrated by the same team and other researchers - whether using software to control the hard drive or power supply, or shining lasers off a light bulb in the same room as the computer.

Of course, most of us do not air-gap our devices because we want the value the Internet provides - and so we are much easier to hack if we ever become government target through accident, circumstance or deliberate policy.

2 Likes

This is getting tiring as well as ever more pervasive. Login using email

Isnā€™t it great how they all want to make our lives simpler? :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

And allow the tracking of data in the one location through one source. Efficient for the consumer, efficient for the data collectors. :wink:

4 Likes

Always log in using email. Always.

1 Like

I am not sure how that helps, it becomes another identity key to be used to track your activity.

3 Likes

Indeed - unless one keeps separate emails for everything ā€¦ which can get tedious ā€¦ and even then, there are ways of correlating and without much difficulty ā€¦

3 Likes

Yes it does, I suppose, but I refuse to directly give my login stuff and where I am logged in to entitles like google and facebook. Of course eventually they will know (in an aggregated way I suppose) but why make it easy. Unless you never sign in on any website, ever, youā€™re screwed. May as well go offline entirely.

1 Like

In summary,

3 Likes

All your base are belong to usā€¦

4 Likes

The Federal Government has drafted laws to protect citizens from cyber abuse.

Some Christmas humour from the government. The verb they are actually looking for is ā€œcontrolā€.

Separate emails can be useful for tracing privacy and other breaches. Separate emails can be useful for prioritising spam.

I would definitely endorse this. Unless you have verified how this is working, why would you want to give your Facebook password to some random web site? - quite apart from the privacy issues of helping Facebook to build up an even bigger picture of your life.

2 Likes

An article regarding how to look out for hidden cameras.

I tried downloading Nmap but all I saw was a dogā€™s breakfast.

I also downloaded Fing only to find that it requires a premium subscription at 59 euros annually to find hidden items.

This seems to be a classic example of extreme privacy breaches.

The media persists in invading public figures privacy and the ā€œoffendedā€ want to victimise the ā€œculpritsā€.

What next? If they cannot invade peopleā€™s privacy with cameras and microphones, will they be permitted to use the transcripts of lip readers to crucify them?

1 Like

This is a very relevant story even though US-centric. The two sides of ā€˜googleā€™ are discussed in solving crimes.

An article regarding how the FBI was able to locate Ghislaine Maxwell.

ā€œYou can run but you cannot hideā€.

1 Like