Salt : What brand / types do you buy?

Perhaps there are no flavour changes perceptible to most people, some may be sensitive to certain additives. Iodine is one I am aware of, it adds a metallic taste to the product for me. I used to use it as I tended to not have enough other iodine intake in my diet. I now have an iodine allergy that makes iodised salt an unsuitable choice, my wife also has an issue with iodine intake related to her endocrine system that makes the product unsafe for her. She is aware of the added taste of iodine in her salt. So I am sure there are others who do detect other additives, whether they find it detracts from the savour I cannot answer.

2 Likes

Most people can taste a difference between salts made from sea/salt lake water evaporation and those that are mined from sea beds salts in ancient underground/mountain deposits.
Thereā€™s a difference in taste, texture, and processing:
salts from water evaporation are minimally processed and minerals vary according to the water the salt comes from.
Those that are mined are more refined of minerals.
The most famous mined salt is the Himalayan one, mined from ancient salt deposits within that mountain range, the genuine one has a reddish tint from the iron oxide it contains.

I use Saxa cooking salt, the packet says it comes from waters of the southern oceans of Australia, its anti-caking agent is a synthetic sodium ferrocyanide, (535).
Also a supermarket brand table salt made from Australian and imported ingredients, not much of an explanation but as I use almost none at the table itā€™s not very important to me. It also includes an anti-caking agent: sodium aluminosilicate (554).

I remember my grandmother adding a few grains of rice to act as an anti-caking agent to her salt container/shaker much simpler and healthier IMO.

2 Likes

Learn something every day, which is nice at my age.

I alway thought ā€œkosher saltā€ was salt that didnā€™t contain a caking agent.

I use coarse sea salt for cooking and rock salt for the grinder.

1 Like

You can get Kosher Salt in Australia.

I use several salts, largely people think salt is much of a muchness but this is definitely not the case, at the moment we use Lake Deborah salt which is West Australian harvested from some lake out in the boondocks. This is a fine salt, I also use various French unrefined salts which are reasonably priced if you buy the kilo bags from the online French food suppliers. Donā€™t buy this from gourmet shops or health storesā€¦they put it in pretty bags and charge an arm and leg for it. I add kelp to salt as all our salt is non iodised. I hate the over salty chemical taste of most supermarket salt now.