Root canal therapy vs extraction

Thank you very much Gaby. Hope all goes well for you…

1 Like

With a mouth full of vintage amalgam from the 60’s the better question is, what was the next best alternative at that time?

Extraction and dentures was one option. Modern ceramic fillings did not exist back then. Gold was an option for some. Over time some of my fillings have been upgraded. There has been no rush from my Dentist or advice on discussion with my GP to replace. I expect any loss from the amalgam has been of no great concern.

Modern dentistry may be the subject of speculation as to motives by some. I believe we are much better off. I’ve no desire to return to the days of dental wisdom of my parents or grandparents. The days when nearly everyone who made it to 60+ looked forward to the birthday present of a new set of dentures. Given as we age a tooth less jaw line tends to shrink, dentures are not for life. They need for many updating with new plates.

If Root Canal treatments, reconstruction with caps or crowns, or inserts can avoid the more radical solution, all would seem to be options where appropriate.

I expect none of us younger oldies will need a borrowed set to end of life. Both my parents avoided the need despite some very average dental work dating back to the 1940’s.

4 Likes

From my experience I prefer extraction.

1 Like

Been there done that.
Best advice I was given by a dentist many years ago, hold your teeth for as long as you can.
Had the root canal process and crown, was fine for 5 years or so. Became infected and dentist said it had to go. Came back in a week for the procedure, and he selected the incorrect tooth on the opposite side of the mouth.
Very quickly gave him the flick. New dentist said the infection will drain naturally until it can no longer do.
Finally had it extracted after nearly 10 years more.
Miss the tooth, but keep them for as long as practical

2 Likes

I find root canal a bit scary so I would rather go for extraction. My mom has infection with her root canal and it indeed made her spend more.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, The majority view is not always right. Once washing your hands before surgery was minority advice and cost the doctor his job. See https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/handwashing-once-controversial-medical-advice/ Harm is not always visible and metal leaching from amalgam over time has been linked with alzheimers apart from the mercury. There is good information if anyone googles “holistic dentists” on why most don’t use amalgam or root canal therapy. They say there is always internal inflammation with root canal therapy. But no solution is perfect and it depends on the persons health and individual circumstances and if they need to save a particular tooth or if other alternatives such as bridges are healthier.

1 Like

Hi @SPARKLES. We seem to be taking this topic somewhere different from the original, ‘Root canal therapy vs extraction’. It’s not clear which ‘majority view’ is being referred to here. This makes it difficult to discuss in a meaningful way. Without context and evidence to support an alternate view point it’s likely we have come to an end in the discussion.

On root canal treatments, it’s simply an option vs extraction. The latter is typically expedient and a lower cost if the removed tooth is not replaced. I’d leave that discussion to each individual and their dentist, endodontist, orthodontist, as appropriate. Is the best decision informed by those who know and based on the individuals circumstances?

Isn’t it up to each individual to decide? The view points of any one group, majority or minority would seem less relevant, unless of course it’s a considered opinion of a professional dentist.

3 Likes

In case anyone is wondering: I’ve had no pain for about 3 weeks now, and a few days ago I had a consultation with the dentist and we agreed to ‘wait and see’.
I’ll keep you posted and appreciate so much all of your input, thank you to everyone.

9 Likes

Depends which tooth and where it sits and its function…tell me why Oz dentists are so expensive,seems like a cartel,how do the low income people pay these huge costs.?

What metal is it that leaches from amalgam over time apart from mercury? What are these links to alzheimer’s disease?

2 Likes

Amalgam used in Australia contains:

silver, copper, tin, mercury and zinc, and is a very strong filling material (Source)

Amalgam is very safe to use and has been used for over 150 years. While it is safe, the Australian Dental Association suggests

minimising their use in pregnant or breastfeeding women, by children and by people with kidney disease.

I suspect that this advice is highly cautious and arises from the potential impact of mercury on a child’s development. I also suspect that immediately after the filling/amalgam is installed, there may be a small amount of mercury which may be released from the amalgam surface.

5 Likes

My ‘old’ dentist told me extraction is last resort. Keep your teeth as long as you can.

A molar had root canal & crown. Five years later a dentist said it’s infected & needs to come out. Went back for the procedure a week late and dentist was selecting the wrong tooth. No thanks!

Back to another dentist and was told the infection is draining. Just wait and see. Wait & see was another 10 years.

6 Likes

Root canal treatment is now easily done here in Oz.New equipment ,technology and more have come about in the last 10 years,a good dentist will do this efficienctly and nr painless.
I had my 5 root canals done in one,yes one visit by the Smileagain team in Dadar,Mumbai , India, also 7 implants and 20 plus crowns,3 years ago,now its just a dream to go there,but they were sooo good to me.
Jonny.

1 Like