Rinse Aid & Dishwasher Salt

Is there a home made recipe for dishwasher rinse aid? I have heard of 100ml of boiling water mixed with 2 Tbsp of citric acid.

No doubt there are many. A more important question is which, if any, actually work.

1 Like

We use a basic dishwasher tablet and no rinse aid. No problem with our rain water supply.

Our experience with a drawer type DW and powder (less required for the smaller capacity) with town water is rinse aid does make a difference. A visible film remains on glassware when it has not been refilled.

How does one account for different water types or quality?
One of the many home remedies may supposedly work, but only where the water is of a particular type. A suggestion is to run the DW without rinse aid and assess the outcome. It may be a process of trial and error to see if any of the home remedies works for you. IE what works best for pure Cairns mountain fed rainforest water may not work for Adelaide natural mineral tap water.

Try the zero rinse aid solution first and see if it works for you.

I live in SE South Australia where the water quality is not the best. Very high calcium/mineral content. To alleviate the film & calcium spots left on everything in the dishwasher, I use vinegar as a rinse aid as well as 1 heaped teaspoon full of salt, added to the dispenser with the soap tablet. I found this works for me.

1 Like

I live in Sydney and use a cheap Coles dish washer tablet in my drawer washer. No extra rinse aid, no film!