Report - "The Food Fix: The role of diet in type 2 diabetes prevention and management"

It was certainly clearly illustrated in Dr Michael Mosely’s program “Australia’s Health Revolution” where he demonstrated the connection between junk food, obesity and Type 2 diabetes, and he managed to cure some participants.

When I was at our GP this week, he was not aware of the program but agreed with what Michael Mosley said, and he said that he had had a number of patients who had reversed their diabetes, and one mordibly obese person had a dramatic improvement after losing 25kg.

However, with around 1 million Australians with Type 2 diabetes and over 15,000 deaths per annum, it definitely is a crisis.

It seems that everytime I go to the local shopping centres, I see more and more obese and mordibily obese persons, and now McDonalds is launching a junk food loyalty program.

Some years ago whilst I was waiting in a shop which has the best roast chickens in town, a couple of Pacific Islanders who were both mordibily obese got out of a car and basically waddled sideways into the shop.

They asked if the shop had “Southern Fried Chicken”, and when told no, they waddled back to the car and left.

“Did someone say KFC?”

On another occassions some years ago, another pair of Pacific Islanders were sitting outside a former cafe with a huge bowl of hot chips and gravy which they were sharing for lunch.

Back in the 1990’s when we would take our kids to Cooktown for a break, a local cafe had a glass covered display on a long counter which was filled with nothing but the largest sizes of chocolate bars which Indigenous persons bought in bulk.

And a bad news article from ABC News.

When we were going to school, I only ever saw one obese boy in Cairns, and my wife only saw a handful of obese girls, but of course there were no junk food outlets back then, only fish & chips, good quality burgers, and reasonable quality pies.

I understand as part of aligning junk food consumption with obesity you gave three specific examples of obese people eating junk food. I don’t understand why all three were non whites.

Diabetes is influenced by many factors. Socio Economic Status as well as gender reveal distinct trends.

Depending on where one was born, Colonialism and it’s vigorous conversion practices has done more to impose/normalise change in dietary practices than any other factor, IMO.

Note the poorer outcomes for outer regional and remote. Not a great reflection on all governments or their health services.

P.S.
Battered Fish and Chips is not on the recommended dietary requirements for anyone trying to loose weight or control diabetes.

Personal observation of a Central Qld mining town is it was full of residents struggling with excess body weight. Like most mining towns it’s mostly white Caucasian mining families. It held a once dubious tag of a being a fast food capital (fast food outlets per population).