Removal of old telephone connections

And just lastly for now, I am presuming that these TPG technicians would be qualified in cabling.

3 Likes

Yes, they have to be or they can’t be employed or contracted to do that work. I think it will be contractors who work for TPG. TPG would be keen to fund this easy fix as it keeps the larger payment coming in for the faster nbn™ speed rather than getting a lesser payment, over time this rewards them much more than the cost of fixing your wiring.

The reality is they will find the first point (or make where your modem is now the first point) then they will remove every other connection from that circuit by removing the wiring at the point they connect to that circuit. There may even be wiring currently connected that doesn’t end in an actual phone point but was laid “just in case”.

2 Likes

I recall now that when we had the NBN connected some years ago, we had a problem which I don’t recall but we were told to get the extension to a no longer used socket in the kitchen disconnected so that the incoming line connected only to the socket for the line to the modem.

It solved whatever the problem was.

2 Likes

Yes Fred, it is the signal degradation that occurs because of the extra wiring, when removed typically the biggest and significant improvement is download speeds and connectivity. Uploads while improved don’t really improve as much as they are lower anyway. Percentage wise the improvements will be the same just lower uploads means the improvement in Mbps will be maybe 5 - 10 Mbps (as capped at 40 Mbps) whereas a 50% improvement on 60 Mbps means 30 Mbps download improvement (a total of 90 Mbps peak download speed)…and far less dropouts.

2 Likes

Thank you gentlemen, I am looking forward to hearing from the TPG technician now!! I will be happy to pay the $89.99 that I have been if I can get an extra 30% speed. Cheers

3 Likes

:smile: That’s what TPG are banking on. I think you will see decent improvement, how much percentage wise is harder to guess.

1 Like