Really Portable Evaporative Coolers (PolarAir, Qinux, Etc)

We live in sub-tropical coastal QLD. As @syncretic has already suggested a pedestal is a better and less expensive investment. It will move a lot more air. They don’t consume an excessive amount of power. We still use one with a small remote. The air movement creates its own cooling effect. Better if a bedroom has openings on more than one side and the fan can be used to draw cooler outside night air into a hot room. We also have RC split system Aircons. But still use our pedestal and ceiling fans to reduce the need to run the AC’s.

Choice has a guide and reviews on portable air conditioners that do work if your budget might go that far one day. Start here, includes links to reviews of pedestal fans. Note detailed reviews are member only content. https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/portable-air-conditioners

1 Like

I was given one for a Christmas present a couple of years ago called Artic Air.I don’t mind it.But it is only good for one person.I switch it on for 5 mins then,then turn it off for 5 mins as the machine warms up it gets less cool.But when in use it can be really refreshing as you filled it up with cold water and ice.It’s not for everyone but it does the trick for me

1 Like

These are commonly being marketed via so called “infomercials” and are incorrectly called “air conditioners”. In fact they are just evaporative coolers which, as has already been said, do not work well in humid climate.
In my opinion, anything being marketed via infomercial should be treated as a “take” and steered well clear of.
BB

1 Like