Qantas - Worth their premium pricing? Maybe Not

Qantas has predictably pushed back on compensation schemes claiming fares would rise. As pundits routinely bleat, ‘do not do the crime and you will not serve the time’.

It appears QF has no intention of even trying to raise their game so they would not have to pay out [much] compensation. Will government go lightly lightly as is the historical case, or push and pull QF to improve its service?

2 Likes

The ACCC is asking for consumers to step up and report their experiences.

2 Likes

I had a watch of their new ‘safety video’ and agree with those who think QF has lost the plot. Pap has replaced a safety briefing.

Some might think telling pax how to fasten and unfasten a seat belt is unnecessary in 2024 but not everyone is from a 1st world country, not everyone does English, and not all seat belts are the same even if they are trending that way. I found it long, boring, and missing the point of everything beyond some rah rah. Management seems not to have a clue.

4 Likes

Their booking system was struggling as was their call centre in 2022. Obviously worth premium pricing? Methinks QF got off lightly.

2 Likes

Rather than boost a Vietnam Vet to cattle class, they should have put the transiting pilot in the dicky seat behind the Captain.

They should have, but my understanding is the EA/contract doesn’t allow that because it (the business class seat) for transits is included as an entitlement.

2 Likes

Transiting flight crew from one port to another, or for that matter cabin crew, need to be able to rest and perhaps nap before starting their shift once they arrive at their starting port.

That is not going to happen sitting in a cockpit jump seat.
Nor is it likely down the back with screaming kids and boozing yobbos.

‘Must fly’ status overrides everything.

2 Likes

About dead heading crew members, they have seating entitlements spelled out clearly in their EBA. Must fly means what it says. The use of jump seats in the cockpit is subject to much legalese after 9/11 attacks and anyway they are not approved for crew rest (obviously).
As has been mentioned, often they need reasonable rest because of a connecting flight to be operated as soon as this flight arrives. Rest requirements are a matter of law and not merely a good idea. I have a very good knowledge of this stuff coz I was flight crew for 46 years in QF and spent much of that time as a crew scheduling rep for the Association.

8 Likes

QANTAS have just agreed to a $100 Million fine in regards to selling tickets to flights that didn’t exist after being cancelled. $20 Million in compensation is also to be paid to affected consumers. This is still subject to the Federal Court’s approval.

ACCC news release

2 Likes