Privacy and Security - In the Public Record

Doubtless the system does have further data, otherwise the problem of a duplicate record arises. Often systems return multiple matches and it is left up to the operator/user to select from a list of one or more matches.

The system may have indexed two apparently similar entries consecutively, or not depending on what other data is used for identification. I have even seen operators alter or add a single alpha to force a system to carry two similar entries for the identifier.

Does the system know? Only if it was coded to consider the possibility as described and to force an exception in how the data is presented for use, review, update etc?

3 Likes

It would have ‘collision’ and ‘multiple hits’ integrity if it were done properly. Oh wait. I think you have identified the problem(s). I wonder if anyone thought to include that in the spec, or to train the human operators.

4 Likes

An article regarding YouTube being fined $250 million for illegaly collecting childrens’ data.

2 Likes

It’s a flawed law though. There isn’t really any good way of making the law workable, particularly in a globalised world.

YouTube could perhaps start by creating YouTubeKids, which would contain all content targeted at those under 13. They could then apply different privacy practices on that site as compared with the main (sell your privacy up the river) site - as well as credibly being able to make the claims that they made about whom they are targeting.

2 Likes

A few months ago, we had a Queensland Education Department permission form sent home asking consent for use of a number (20+) online applications and websites which can collect data on school students. What was concerning was a large number of the websites the school was seeking consent were located internationally (including the US) and their privacy policies allowed the ‘sharing’ of collected data with other parties.

After reading some privacy polices and also seeing the countries where the information was collected and potentially could be used, we only provided consent for two online applications which are also used at home and hosted locally.

Speaking to other parents, some were aware and had similar concerns to ourselves that the Queensland Government in effect was sanctioning the collection of data on our school children and that the child or parents have no control over the data collected. Others (possibly younger generation) didn’t show any concern and more or less were dismissive because their children already have a high online profile.

4 Likes

Ask your GP what software their practice uses, and who gets the data.

3 Likes

Perhaps we should assume that all data are shared?

5 Likes

The trouble is that my supermarket can track me whether or not I am in their ‘loyalty’ scheme, because I almost never pay by cash.

Given this, I have surrendered to the inevitable and get quite a lot off my weekly shop - while in return the supermarket sends me badly targeted ads.

5 Likes

A warning about the privatisation, and risks to our data, of who runs our Visa system:

4 Likes

The Commonwealth learned to taxpayer cost the price of outsourcing its basic IT infrastructure in the Howard years. (“If it’s in the yellow Pages government shouldn’t be doing it.”) I simply cannot understand why it still fails to understand the problems associated with outsourcing mission-critical (or ‘core’) functions.

3 Likes

Knowing a name, address, and Medicare card number/position is enough to ‘prove’ identity for most online accounts these days. I wonder how many new accounts these fine people might have they won’t know about until the collectors come looking.

5 Likes

It isn’t just governments. Any large organisation suffers from this problem. The larger the file the greater the chance of apparent duplicates, especially if you have homophones and near matches. The problem is that unless people have experienced the problem they tend to greatly underestimate the chance of this happening and certainly underestimate the cost to the business and the individuals of confusion.

I spent years working on business systems including building bespoke databases for small business and I didn’t bother negotiating adding protocols in to deal with the near matches, I just did it. Some ended up thanking me.

Just a couple of ‘coincidences’ for you:

• I once had a staff of 35 or so that included two men of the same name (same sound small spelling difference) something like John Pike and John Pyke. Some people got quite annoyed if they phoned and were asked which one they wanted to speak to.
  • A masterfile contained Salim Bechara, Salim Salim, Bechara Salim and Bechara Bechara. They were four individuals who had all presented correct passports.
    (Edit, I’m on a roll)
  • At one time there were two men in Sydney called George George and others called variants like George Georgiadis, Georgiades, Georges etc.
  • In the early 1930s Mr and Mrs Bridge called their baby son Sydney. Syd was a bit of a character and told me his middle name was Harbour. I had my doubts until he got to the part where he flashed his birth certificate.
4 Likes

I would say this is actually a good news story.

Our law enforcement and ‘security’ agencies are pushing for back doors and the ability to see everything we do online. If they find their own online data coming back to bite them, then the societal becomes personal - and perhaps they will reconsider the costs and (purported) benefits of what they are demanding.

6 Likes

I imagine that your data and my data is there available for sale too. The seller has chosen some high profile examples that he or she believes, correctly, will generate free publicity.

Once again we can see that if you collect it, they will come.

3 Likes

Absolutely! The difference is that I cannot affect policies on data privacy and security, while current and former police commissioners can.

3 Likes

That’s open to debate. Just noting the current Commonwealth stance on public servants supporting government, by implementation of policy. Advising on policy is not a requirement.

Perhaps if on offer were the Medicare details of PM Scott Morrison, the current Treasurer and the Minister for Home Affairs?

4 Likes

I thought that was their job.

Government departments consist of many experts in a diverse number of subjects. This advice is supposed to be given fearlessly and impartially.

Unfortunately there is no requirement for any pollie to listen or act, or do anything for any reason, thus most actions are done for their self serving, ideological, or partisan interests, which they do religiously.

3 Likes

One would hope so!

It appears there are are now much tighter boundaries. The role of public servants is being firmly corralled and the gate locked.

How does Mr Morrison see the public service’s role?

Mr Morrison’s belief that the public service shouldn’t get above itself by having its own policy views, rather than just views on how to implement the government’s policy, hasn’t just been articulated since becoming PM.

Does that suggest public servants once again risk accusations of heresy? It’s clearly a punishable offence for Commonwealth public servants to rat on the government of the day. When as a public servant is offering an alternate point of view ever going to be without career risk?

The more recent events of restructuring the public service were forewarned.

3 Likes

Data breaches are costing lives but not for the reason you might think? Solution: weaken security?

1 Like

Why paper folders may have been a better tool in regards to security but still a poor substitute for speed of retrieval and searching. On one hand security on the other usability.

1 Like