Printer reviews

The other options include…

• Removing and reinstalling any printer software and drivers
  • Check on Canon website for a updated driver/software which has geen released recently
  • Contact Canon Australia again to see if they have any new fixes…there might be if others are having similar problems.
1 Like

Hi BBG
Tried all of that, static IP in the router and PC, plus including resetting the modem and wifi router - disconnecting the wifi Netgear RAX80 wifi router, using only the modem/router reset the iphone and ipads but still no joy. Turned off PC and any item on my home network - still no joy wrt to installing on iphone/ipad.

phb - no new Canon driver it dates from 2019 and that is probably the issue as it no longer relates to the Windows 10 spooler (the latter being the issue in Windows 10 ver 2004 wrt to certain printers.)

Thanks for the input - appreciate it :slight_smile:
PeterH

1 Like

For the G6000 series and in particular the G6060 https://www.canon.com.au/printers/pixma-endurance-g6060/support

There is a security patch from June this year:

https://www.canon.com.au/support/sims-content?pid=98d89ec8e4f247518c789527cb3141ef&cid=A5D84915D2BE4AECA4B0E2F3AF3EC812&ctype=dr

Latest Driver & Software packages are from 1st of January

There is also a Network Setup Utility “IJ Network Device Setup Utility is the software application that enables your computer to communicate with the printer” that is from May this year:

https://www.canon.com.au/support/sims-content?pid=98d89ec8e4f247518c789527cb3141ef&cid=CCF2EA4B17D2468681EA80796C3C144D&ctype=ap

@phb The user also notes that they can’t use the printer by the phone app, this is not expected behaviour and would not be related to the Win 10 update. This is partly why I suggest the printer is not doing what is expected of it.

4 Likes

It looks like the June v2004 update was buggy for various printers including Canon, Ricoh, Brother and Panasonic.

There also looks like there should be an out-of-band update released by Microsoft which may fix (some?) known issues. Hereiis info about the patch which isvworth trying…Microsoft releases off-schedule patch for printing problems in Windows 10

This could be from setting changes from troubleshooting trying to resolve the issue.

It may be worth doing a factory reset of the printer (if possible) before running the patch.

If this all fails, try connecting the printer to another network (e.g, friends or take it back to place of purchase to see if they have same issues). If this also fails, it coukd then be a printer hardware/firmware issue.

1 Like

grahroll
thanks for the links but these are pre - Win 10 ver 2004 and do not change my situation - I have installed all - no joy!

phb
Thanks but that fix does not apply to ver 2004:

If you’re experiencing printing problems and you’ve already upgraded to Windows 10 May 2020 Update, you’ll have to wait a little longer for a fix.
pH

3 Likes

Have you tried rolling back the v2004 update (with printer factory reset). This may confirm if it is a Windows 10 or Canon printer problem.

3 Likes

I saved an old cannon iP4700 by taking the print head and soaking it in pure Windex for 48 hours. Washed it and blew it dry with compressed air and then made sure to leave it in a warm place for a further 24 hours to ensure the electronics were totally dry. It’s still working five years later.

4 Likes

phb
I tried it on our laptop pre ver2004 and it worked - unfortunately cannot roll back ver 2004 on main pC.
Thanks
pH

5 Likes

A workaround to uninstall the problem update. Please ensure you backup before undertaking this method.

https://borncity.com/win/2016/10/21/windows-updates-fehlende-deinstallation-erzwingen/

4 Likes

nb. I changed the title, replacing ‘COVID’ with "Home Offices’ to reflect the topic’s core content.

3 Likes

Inkjets (any inkjets) are simply a device to sell ink. Get a laser printer. Brother make superb cheap lasers, even colour ones, although I grant you that for the short period they operate inkjets print better in colour.

2 Likes

After trying the workaround in @grahroll post, let us know how you get on.

1 Like

phb
For many many reasons I cannot revert back from ver 2004.
pH

The workaround is to remove the update that may be causing the issue, it doesn’t revert you to 1909. The update is not normally able to be removed but by following the directions at the link you may be able to remove it by changing the setting in the relevent .MUM files to allow removal.

2 Likes

I understand why you might not want to revert by ‘brute force’. While you await Microsoft to fix their problem, if you want to print to the G6060 from the afflicted desktop you should be able to configure the printer on the notebook as a shared printer and print via the notebook. Not convenient but it is a way to do.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for telling us your valuable experience with Brother.
I have found myself in exactly the same position and followed what you have done with the same reply.
I will probably have to wait until the end of the month before they get new stock in but after having a bad experience with a HP printer I am looking to try a different brand.
Thanks heaps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have bad experiences with Canon.It is difficult to get them to help you when you are having problems with their printers.

2 Likes

We share our test results of some poor performing printers, including running costs such as ink/toner:

3 Likes

You have just got to love the HP Deskjet 3720.

1 Like

Our Canon Pixma MG7160 decided to go belly up yesterday and following the instructions to clear the error code failed to fix it.

As it is 6 years old, we decided to replace it so I proceeded to look online for a replacement.

To my absolute amazement, Officeworks, JB Hi Fi, Kmart, Big W and The Good Guys appeared to have almost nothing in stock so I went to Officeworks today to see for myself.

One side of the printer aisle had 2 models of Canon MFC units, one at $500+ and the other at $389, and 1 model of Brother MFC at $267. No Epson units.

The other side of the aisle was full of disposable HP rubbish. It appeared that a lot of consumers must have woken up to their designed to fail junk.

I asked a staff member regarding the top model recommended by Choice last month and he advised that there should be stock in around 11 days, and that I should look at their website daily to see when it appears in stock.

The website curently will not allow it to be ordered online or to be bought using “click & collect”.

Who would have thought that buying a printer would become a drama?

3 Likes