Plastic packaging & plastic bags

There are various ways to look at the environmental cost of a product. It is more than just the plastic in the container. It pays to consider the alternatives?

We could add to the bottled water all the other manufactured drink products that are water based and use similar packaging. Cans also have an environmental cost. Recycling might aim to reduce the lifetime impact of cans. Recycling also has an environmental GHG footprint.

There are other options for soft drinks etc.

Another approach is to have no bags available. put big signs at the entry… WE HAVE NO CARRY BAGS

People will buy reusable or bring their own next time

1 Like

What to do about cling wrap that comes from super markets- they wrap too much stuff with it— I re-use it back at home, cleaned off, lasts a good while. Meanwhile how can we persuade them to use less or not at all?

1 Like

Hi @minnie1, welcome to the community and your first contribution.

Cling film is very hard to avoid. You are very diligent with reusing it in your home. How do you get it to restick after it has been wet. We find that it loses its ability to adhere to things as the surface coating of oil has partially been removed.

On a positive note, some cling films can be recycled through the Redcycle program, namely:

Cling film - GLAD, COLES HOME brand and WOOLWORTHS Essentials Home brand ONLY

Maybe ask the supermarket what brand they use or if the one they use can be recycled at the end of its life.

3 Likes

it sticks well enough,

good idea to ask the Coles or W what they use. you say their brand can go into recycle plastic bins? thanks,I was told not.

1 Like

I don’t say it, Redcycle does…Redcycle collect and process the soft plastic recycling bins in Woolworths and Coles supermarkets.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved you post to an existing thread which deals with the issue of plastic packaging.

I am reluctant to reuse the cling film that food is wrapped in as I find it terribly hard to spread out and clean properly, meaning that food particles are likely being transferred from food to food.

3 Likes

And if reused upside down, any contamination that was on the outside when it was handled in the store by others will then be in contact with whatever it is now covering.

To me, it is false economy and a wasted effort when there are many other things one can do to both help save money and the planet.

2 Likes

no food particles on covering of, say, half a cauliflower, or similar.and would reuse it similarly, just covering over a dish , not touching the food. Just a small personal easy step for me, as I try not to buy things that are covered in wrap.

2 Likes

Plastic bag con. When getting home deliveries it is hard to get the shopping in paper bags. So we end up getting the long lasting reusable plastic bags. As I see it what has happened is that the old flimsy plastic bags which were banned have been replaced with these reusable plastic bags that will take many many years to break down.

1 Like

Stop buying fresh produce from Coles. I will always cling wrap it if we buy it

2 posts were split to a new topic: ARL logos/symnlbols on plastic packaging

A post was merged into an existing topic: New ARL logos/symbols on plastic packaging

A post was merged into an existing topic: New ARL logos/symbols on plastic packaging