Plastic packaging & plastic bags

You will be hard pressed to pack your sangers in plastic sugar bags very shortly as per the first picture I posted below which shows Woollies Brown Sugar in the old and new 1kg bags.

The 2 packs have the same barcode so they are obviously in the process of changing the packs.

The next photo shows Woollies 2kg Raw Sugar in a plastic bag whilst CSR 2kg Raw Sugar is in a paper bag.

The third photo shows CSR 1kg Brown Sugar in the new style plastic bag.

The fourth photo shows Coles 2kg Raw Sugar and Bundaberg 1kg Brown Sugar and Bundaberg 1kg Brown Sugar all in the new style plastic packs.

The fifth photo shows Black & Gold Raw Sugar in a paper bag and Black & Gold 1kg Brown Sugar in the old style plastic pack.

The last photo shows CSR Raw Sugar in paper bags.

2 Likes

Red net is plastic and dangerous t marine life when it makes it into the water.

2 Likes

Aldi announces plans to greatly reduce the use of plastic packaging and to phase out the sale of single use plastic items.

1 Like

Yeah but it is going to take them nearly 6 years to do so. Good to see them taking action but the wait time is very long.

2 Likes

Another article regarding Aldi, Coles & Woollies reducing their use of plastic packaging.

And one regarding Wimbledon also slashing plastic use.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/tennis/wimbledon-ditches-plastic-wrapping-for-restrung-racquets/ar-AADzm4j?ocid=spartandhp

Another article regarding plastic waste and what creative farmers and others are doing with it.

1 Like

Australian company Golden Glow used product made from popcorn as ‘stop the rattles’ between items in boxes for packaging.
We always used to put it on the garden or in the compost bin (and a little bit in the worm farm).

3 Likes

SA leads the way regarding banning single-use plastics including drinking straws and cutlery.

3 Likes

The ACCC just lost its court case against Woollies.

When I lodged a complaint with the ACCC around 20 years ago regarding a foriegn multi-national company, they told me that they do not take on any cases unless they have at least a 90% chance of winning them.We took the company to court and won.

With 2 lost cases in just 2 weeks, they won’t be game to take anyone to task anymore.

2 Likes

I thought initially we would have problems when the supermarkets stopped the checkout plastic bags with no Poo bags available when walking the dog and also for kitchen tidy bags. However we have found that there is no issues as the council issues plastic poo bags (I believe to stop people just flicking the poo into the gutters), supermarket fruit bags and kitchen tidy bags are also available, and cheap. We (and the neighbor) tried using compost bins for kitchen scraps but found that rats we tunneling into the bins (neighbor got rid of his bin due to risks). A council rep advised it appears that after other rat complaints, they are looking for somebody who may have chickens without council approval. Council bypass for rat problem is to pour concrete slab, or very large pavers for compost bin footing. We just stopped food scraps into compost bin (emptied contents into red top bin) and no sign of rats again. All up we have probably halved the number of potentially dangerous plastic bags.

3 Likes

An article regarding Australia’s largest corn producer dramatically reducing plastic packaging.

Perhaps he can also change the plastic wrap to bio-degradable plastic made from corn waste if he is not already doing so.

I certainly agree with him about preferring no packaging at all.

We only buy corn in their husks which still have the tassels on, cut off the tassel end of the corn, smear the husks with butter, wrap each one in 2 pieces of alfoil, and pop them on the Weber Family Q for around 30 minutes.

The tastiest, most succulent corn we have ever eaten.

5 Likes

Same here, it’s a shame this isn’t the norm across the board. Still, good news about the reduction in packaging.

5 Likes

Now for the form of plastic packaging over which much blood has been shed. Maybe, by regulation, all packaging should be readily opened by unaided hands. It seems crazy that we need a miniature power tool to safely get through the packaging:

4 Likes

San Francisco Airport becomes the first airport to ban single use plastic packaging.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/san-francisco-airport-bans-sale-of-plastic-bottles/ar-AAFhsxL?ocid=spartandhp

2 Likes

So the issue is that our plastic is not contained within a closed cycle. It leaks out into the larger environment and is very difficult to retrieve.

Economically, its price to consumers is far too low to send them signals to reduce consumption or increase recovery and recycling.

Therefore, governments should intervene, distorting this market by creating plastic and carbon taxes.

We go one step further and leave the corn in the husks. Dampen the husk a little first and cook over a low flame on the BBQ open grill. Turn as needed.

You can add the butter or oil based dressing of you choice at the end.

No alfoil required. I often wonder if it is ever captured by the waste recovery system anyway?
Compared to say a microwave which is also an option and much quicker, perhaps the carbon footprint of the BBQ is not so great. Either way there is zero plastic!

3 Likes

We don’t remove the husks but merely cut the tassels off the end as it creates less mess and also helps the butter to steam into the cobs.

1 Like

A novel approach to packaging from cosmetics brand Lush:

Plus some plastic wrap made from Shellfish waste:

2 Likes

SA is banning all single use plastics used in retail and cafe.

Meanwhile, when our son and his youngest child were visiting us during the past week, my wife bought our granddaughter some takeaway from Macca’s replete with plastic straws, and plastic tops on the drinks and ice creams.

At least the restaurant at our local AFL clubhouse have adopted non-plastic straws.

1 Like

This is a step in the right direction. I wonder if the ban will also extend to use of any plastic in bags as it is likely that some retailer may use plastic coated paper instead. While it is less plastic (by mass) used, it still has the opportunity to result in fugitive plastic releases.

The challenge will also be to replace other packaging with plastics, such as those used for single serve foods such as crisps, confectionery etc. These are often also present in the fugitive waste/litter and also readily available from all kinds of retailers.

1 Like