Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) review

Thanks @PhilT, we’ll definitely check out these suggestions.

3 Likes

FetchTV Mighty is similar to the IQ boxes and available to purchase outright or via some ISPs. The linking available between the Mighty and mini boxes is a clever cost saver. The mighty boxes record but recordings can be accessed on a network connected mini box. Both boxes have streaming apps too (Netflix, Stan, etc). But the winner point is you only need 1 subscription for up to 3 boxes in the 1 household.

1 Like

Some self help advice for those with PVRs that stop responding to the remote and the front panel, but are fine after a power-cycle reboot, at least for a few hours. Related symptoms include missing recordings or interrupting recordings mid-stream with error messages.

We have a Toppy and a Humax, both that suffered the same malady at different times.

In each case doing a reset and/or re-flashing the firmware made no difference. The ‘solution’ was to reformat the HDD and do the reset. Each of the products has soldiered on with faultless operation afterwards.

If you have a PVR that is starting to play up, stop recording new shows, watch everything on your HDD or move them to another device, and try a reformat and reset. Costs nothing and for us worked 2 out of 2 times to restore operation to ‘as new’. Strange, but.

4 Likes

I have a Fetch Mighty and now they seem to have sorted out the recording issues they had in the early days, I love it. I am not subbed to any Channels, you dont have to be. I record some FTA, sometimes. I also have an old Topfiedl TF7100 and its just not up to snuff anymore. Had it repaired at huge cost (wouldnt turn on) and now wonder why I bothered. Loved it at the time but not now. Its in its box in a cupboard.

2 Likes

Why keep it if you are not using it?

You have what could be classified as ‘old electronic junk’ then. If it works fine you could try ebay or gumtree, or may be more inclined to donate it to your local Men’s Shed (or similar organisation) for their regular garage sales? We had an aged Humax PVR-Smart SD PVR in our ‘closet’ for a few years, untouched, worked fine; we gave it to our Men’s Shed and they got $25 for it at their sale.

3 Likes

I’m a hoarder. Sad, innit. Mens shed is a good idea, our local is always raising money for something or other :). I’ll contact them, I have quite a lot of other perfectly good stuff they might be able to use. The Toppy though, think I might see if I can sell, it cost me $175 for the fix.

4 Likes