Paying bills with cash at the bank

Since the payment was being made at and I assume (always dangerous to do so) to the NAB as card issuer I think that would be a seriously bad precedent/defence by NAB.

When a bank declines to provide deposit or payment acceptance for legal tender, especially when being paid to itself, it would reasonably be cause for concern. ‘What is a bank?’

Might such ‘antics’ evolve to a bank only accepting its [card | loan | whatever] payments by EFT or Bpay or direct debit from a NAB (or other bank) account to NAB? Some probably see no worries since it is a small weapon to assure an under-radar cash economy does not prosper, yet it remains a troubling precedent. Would a maximum of 10 Australian bank notes be next?

Children will need to be taught the piggy bank ideal of years ago is well beyond its use-by date and saving coins is problematic rather than an activity to be reinforced unless one is a coin collector.

Business are not required to decline such coin payments, but as a few posts on the Community reinforce some do, and this topic is about the NAB, not just a regular business, and if S16 plays any part is purely speculative in searching for a ‘why’ so my post is similarly speculative.

S16 makes sense in a context where someone tries to pay for a tank of petrol with $10s of dollars in small coins at the servo or grocery, but when it disadvantages those who are on struggle street or just save the odd coin toward their bills it seems to be BAU prioritising business at the expense of everyday consumers.

Reigning in someone making a statement [trying to] pay a fine with small coins? Councils can be as arrogant as they wish in how they operate, why not their citizenry in response?

An older allied topic is

2 Likes