Parking nose first or backing into a carpark

Out in the boonies where people will drive straight into a parallel park to avoid reverse parking, they similarly nose into right angle parks as the easiest, and back out when there’s no traffic.

Next biggest town has a park signed for reverse-in during certain school hours (one hour before and after) which is opposite a busy medical centre. Not unusual to see cars parked both ways, those that arrived outside / inside school hours.

Little supermarket on a one way service road - can hold up traffic while people attempt to reverse park taking up the whole lane and taking a number of attempts to get it right, so little room you can’t back straight in, it has to be a sharp curve and then manoeuvrer to align. Locals know to allow 2 car lengths behind, which can easily clog up the highway intersection. Even Mr Z, truck driver extraordinaire takes 3 moves to park there. I go around the corner, nose-in and walk.

Both of us worked where reverse parking was mandatary, due to bush-fire risk. Everyone reversed in, and keys left in, in case angle grinding or some other spark started a fire which, given the severe drought at the time was capable (and did) incinerate vehicles and demountables. Vehicles & plant could be moved to cleared areas quickly. Despite that I still prefer nose in.

6 Likes

Victoria road rule 213 does not appear to have a [clearly defined] exemption for such potential emergencies although there are some [undefined] potential caveats; leaving a vehicle more than 3m away and unlocked with keys in the ignition are a 3 penalty unit offence.

4 Likes

I should have explained that this “rule” was enforced by employers on private type lands, not on gazetted roads. Road, civil, mine construction work; employer/ employee vehicles, plant, etc.

A bridge job I was on - two lads did the Hot Works Permit as a tick’n’flick without actually doing anything, parked their cars (not reversed in) and caused a grass fire which destroyed their own cars and burnt out private properties. Insurance refused. Compensation paid to landholders, big drama.

After a few years of reverse park every work day, it becomes habitual.

3 Likes

The front wheels of a car need more maneuvering room than the rear wheels. So backing into tight spaces is easier than driving forward. I prefer to back in. It also gives better vision driving out of the parking spot. Our garage is accessed via a rear lane 3.6m wide. I did have a Holden 1 tonner approximately 6m long. It was possible to back into the garage in a single movement but near impossible to get it in forwards due to the restriction of the front wheels once through the roller door.

9 Likes

That is untrue. In fact, in many rural towns parking with your rear to kerb & often at a 45degree angle is not only permitted… it is required.

3 Likes

There is a greater chance of hitting a car reversing out as your maximum radial movement when turning is at the front of the vehicle. It is actually easier to back into a tight space than to drive in if there is no swing room outside the space. Forklift trucks steer from the back for this reason. Fortunately they teach backing into parking bays these days, in WA at least.

9 Likes

I use reverse into a car park. Sadly someone who doesn’t reversed out and T-boned our car. We now cannot use either door to get into the car. Of course it’s the worst time of the year as no panel beaters open for weeks.

5 Likes

Wow, interesting how different we all are (fortunately) and there’s no right or wrong here. I fully agree with your first and last point but have different experiences with the other ones:

If I set the indicator before reaching the slot, the driver behind me can stop. If not, yes, they’ll have to back up a bit.

Mostly when I have to back out, slowly, pedestrians don’t stop nor speed up, but complain if I keep on reversing. Same with most other cars that drive past. And I’ve seen several trucks being in the same situation even with the beeping going on.

I try to back in when possible, or drive through.

6 Likes

I agree chopsywa. My dad taught me that trick when I was first learning to drive back in the early 1970s. He grew up in England and drove “lorries” for a while. With narrow roads and lanes he said there were many places he could reverse into and then drive out, but not the opposite.
You can back into many spaces that you can’t drive forwards into, and then it’s much easier to drive out. I either back in, or find a space where I can drive through and therefore drive out frontwards.

8 Likes

Only one of our cars comes with a factory fitted reversing camera and I absolutely love it. My wife’s car doesn’t have one - or didn’t until I fitted a cheap after market one. That didn’t last so I had a more up market one fitted which replaces your rear vision mirror with a dual purpose mirror/screen and gave her a proper backing camera. I recommend having one fitted as it makes parking a breeze. I reverse into parking spaces 90% of the time.

5 Likes

Same applies to driving in forwards - you have to take an even wider ark, and often, with narrow spaces, can’t get in with one go.

7 Likes

As I have a handicap permit, mainly because I have to open the car door fully and put the seat back to exit, it is necessary for me to ensure I have as much space on the drivers side of the car as possible, especially when there are no handicap spaces. It is easier for me to judge this space, when driving forward rather than backwards.
On occasions I do reverse into a space, when I estimate the space to reverse is quite tight.

8 Likes

I used to utilise “driving forward in” parking when possible when legally able & never had a problem reversing back out into traffic though I easy with whatever parking conditions I find. On reading some of the comments I get the feeling some people aren’t confident when reversing a vehicle & use the reversing camera fully to reverse their vehicles.
I’m going to get into trouble here & say that I am a female driver & have completed a 4WD truck driving course (which I recommend everyone should do) where I learnt how to reverse through an obstacle course on a rough uneven river bank only using mirrors. Since then, I am very confident in my reversing skills using mirrors and only periodically use the reverse camera screen to check for obstacles directly behind the vehicle e.g. small children etc. If you check the laws, the reverse camera should only be used periodically as an assist to identify obstacles directly behind the vehicle.

7 Likes

I remember having to master the slide rule when calculators were commonly available. I also remember morse code being required for an amateur radio license, now once upon a time.

Time moves on, laws usually follow often by times difficult to justify. But that is OT. Back to topic, my partner can back into any space w/mirrors within a cm or so of being perfectly square. So can I but I use the camera. Should a parking inspector check is either more likely to be fined?

6 Likes

I see your points but …
I reverse park when I am not doing major shopping where I cannot get behind the car to put in my shopping. Then forward parking is a necessity. Otherwise just use your blinkers and if people do not respond to them then just start parking and wait. They are at fault not waiting for you to park.
I also find it easier to reverse park as the wheels turning in the front helps that maneuvre.

4 Likes

I second that. I also think reverse parking is a lot quicker, especially into narrow spaces.
Get a reversing camera if you do not already have one. It makes a difference.

5 Likes

Surely ‘parking inspectors’ have no business judging driving skill, only whether the end result meets council doctrine, ahem, regulations … or do parking inspectors have even greater power in the big smoke these days?

2 Likes

Parking inspectors?
Where are they when my car gets scratched by some one not noticing that my car is on the parking space they’re trying to move into? :joy:

4 Likes

Not quite the big smoke, but hybrid powered none the less.
https://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/Council/News-Centre/Council-rolls-out-innovative-new-parking-monitoring-car-110222

The data capture and tracking is all automated. The car simply requires a driver.

3 Likes

absolutely agree @ScottOKeefe. We live in the country and go for 2 weekly shopping trips to the big smoke in our 4wd. The only way to have access to the loading area and to the built in Engel fridge is by parking forward in. Otherwise it’s everyones own choice.

5 Likes