Oversight of Delivery of Professional Services

In every possible scenario, it is rightfully expected that public organization acts with duty of care and respect.

When someone takes time to report a problem and makes a complaint, it should not and must not be ignored.

What kind of a government entity can lose evidence without being liable for such poor actions? Files not being backed up - so the question is if it happens to other complaints too.

Government organizations have stringent rules for keeping all data and making sure it does not fall into wrong hands as well.

In our case, with two complains to OLSC office, where the solicitor in question was fully aware that their actions encouraged other parties to make anonymous death threat (two NSW Ministers were notified as well, who promised action but they never followed through) and several other events of stalking, intimidation, harassment, and exposure to ridicule, let it be known that OLSC failed to act and investigate properly.

In our latest case, OLSC failed to even acknowledge the emails sent to them on:

22 March 2019
28 April 2019
20 May 2019
29 May 2019 (phone call to OLSC)
3 June 2019
17 June 2019

In final correspondence on 19 June 2019 (we obviously annoyed them with persistence) OLSC used almost unpleasant tone and language to dismiss the valid concerns.

Again, we wish good luck to all citizens to achieve what they deserve and expect. At least, to be taken seriously…

We are positive that there are others who would have similar experiences. The problem is that it is very difficult to collect information because most of such cases are undisclosed and people simply give up.

2 Likes

OLSC are proceeding. A barrister has been appointed by the OLSC

1 Like

No affiliation, but then things go into administration, it becomes far more complicated as you are possibly finding and appreciate.

If a barrister has been appointed, I hope that everyone’s questions are answered. Investigations can take time and hopefully the OLSC keeps all the complainants informed of its progression.

If the firm is subject of a formal investigation, anyone posting and have had dealings with the firm please be aware this is the case and it isn’t the place to make any allegations against the firm or due processes which may be followed by OLSC.

They don’t, which is the sole reason for the original post.

4 Likes

I feel you had every right to lodge a complaint. We all have the right to make complaints but more importantly, we all have the right to have a response provided.
On a positive, at least you were able to recover & relocate your will.
I hope you get a response from OLSC.
It is a frustrating process.

4 Likes

The discussion has diverged wondering why this happens, but without being inside the OLSC (NSW) I doubt we can know.

What is germane is if, whether, and how @rabbittt’s concern and @Smiley’s case progress and how/if they get resolved and how the OLSC (NSW) responds along the way. The roles of administrators and what might cause lack of crispness and so on at the OLSC (NSW) seem ancillary to the topic, although may play a part - but if the case it would seem that should have been communicated.

6 Likes

At last, a response from the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner. Worth waiting for?

Who oversights the OLSC ?

3 Likes

What would you have been able to do without that incredibily “useful” reply.

I especially enjoy the line publicly available and appropriate to share.

It is a clear message of who the real ‘constituent’ is and what is important to them, eg their privacy and security and reputation. As for the rest of ‘us’? Not so much.

2 Likes

Can’t help myself. A further request to my local member.

" Thanks for your response.

I do query the usefulness and effectiveness of taxpayer funded bodies who have an oversight responsibility when in fact no oversight is obvious. I previously lodged a complaint with your office regarding my experience with the Dept. of Fair Trading who only parroted the opinion of the manufacturer and did not consider, or in terms of the responsibilities of our local member, add value to an assessment of my complaint.

In the case of the Creaghe, Lisle situation I have not suffered any loss as I have been able to retrieve my documents and placed them in the custody of another entity of my choosing. However I believe there could be literally hundreds of your constituents, or at least their executors, who will find that their dearly departed legal wishes can no longer be found, or if still alive, their powers of attorney exercised.

My expectation from the OLSC was that a direction be given for Creaghe, Lisle to send a letter to all clients of the firm who had documentation in custody with them to advise of their “transfer” to Far North Queensland and to provide their clients with this knowledge, and the choice to make alternative arrangements.

Can I suggest, to help out, that this suggestion be conveyed to the OLSC.

I note that the address for the firm which Creaghe, Lisle entrusted their client’s documentation without advice or consent has changed. According to an internet search, this firm has had three different addresses over a relatively short period. Of course this is not an issue for past clients of Creaghe, Lisle, as unless they saw what I believe was a one off ad in the local Wagga Wagga Newspaper they will not be aware of where the requisite documentation resides.

So where do these clients I am concerned for now begin? A search on the Internet does not reveal where previous Creaghe, Lisle documentation now resides.

If one should be so silly as to read between the lines of the OLSC response one can imagine that some Professional misconduct something or other may be occurring (or not). However the real and increasingly urgent issue is advising clients of Creaghe Lisle the change in circumstances regarding the custody of their documentation. I would have thought that this is obvious.

I ask that you lodge this document as a further complaint to the OLSC.

I would also request that you advise that their refusal to answer phone calls is unacceptable and that their professional competence is queried because of their apparent inability to distinguish between the need for immediate action such as a mail out to Creaghe Lisle clients as opposed to subsequent legal niceties that may prevail. Surely this would be the approach expected of a taxpayer funded body.

5 Likes

Your response from OLSC was pretty much on par with ours
Nothing they can do except advise him how he should conduct himself in the future.
Exact words are” we will ask him to reflect on how he conducted himself during your case”
Case closed.
Agree another taxpayer funded dept like the DFT that fails miserably.

4 Likes

We live in hope. Just sent this to my local member.

"Hi,
This email was sent 8 days ago and I am yet to receive any acknowledgement of my concerns.

In case there is any confusion I have requested a further ministerial representation, or do we, in this case, say Commissioner representation to the OLSC.

Can my issue please be pursued, or do I need to add my local State member to the list of taxpayer funded bodies with oversight roles that proffer no oversight at all."

2 Likes

Haha don’t get me started on ministerial letters🤦‍♀️
Lack of response or proper acknowledgement of concerns or complaints is nothing new or uncommon.
Always expect a lot of duck shoving, even when people bother to follow their “ suggested procedures” to resolve an issue.

2 Likes

and finally a reply
" Private and Confidential

17 September 2021 Dear Mr

File Ref: CAS002130:lb

Your complaint about Mr Simon Finch

I am writing about the above complaint which was received on 4 March 2021.

Your complaint was characterised and dealt with as a disciplinary matter under the

Legal Profession Uniform Law (NSW) (“ the LPUL ”).

Complaints may be dealt with in this Office as either consumer matters or disciplinary matters.

A consumer matter is so much of a complaint about a lawyer or a law practice as relates to the provision of legal services to the complainant by the lawyer or law practice and as I determine should be resolved by the exercise of functions relating to consumer matters.

A disciplinary matter is so much of a complaint about a lawyer or a law practice as would, if the conduct concerned were established, amount to unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct.

This complaint was not determined to be a consumer matter because the subject of the complaint did not appear to be amenable to informal resolution. I did not consider that it was appropriate for me to exercise any of my functions relating to consumer matters.

Decision

Following careful consideration, I have determined to close the above complaint pursuant to my power under section 277(1)(j) of the LPUL in the public interest.

Reasons for decision Background Facts

Your complaint concerned an advertisement placed by Mr Simon Finch in the Wagga Wagga Daily Advertiser on 15 February 2021 to the effect that the law practice of Creaghe Lisle Solicitors had relocated to Cairns in Far North Queensland. The advertisement included information to the effect that client documents had been placed in the possession and control of Wagga Conveyancing and the Law.

You attached to your complaint a photograph of the office door of Creaghe Lisle Solicitors at 88 Fitzmaurice Street, Wagga Wagga taken on 15 February 2021. A notice placed on the door related to Christmas closure.

You considered that the advertisement in the Wagga Wagga Daily Advertiser was insufficient notice to clients that their documents had been transferred to another law practice without their knowledge or consent. At the time of lodging your complaint you had already retrieved your documents from Wagga Conveyancing and the Law and lodged them with another law practice.

The Allegation

Your complaint appeared to be that Mr Finch had acted unprofessionally by not providing adequate notice to clients about their documents being transferred to another law practice and the fact that Creaghe Lisle Solicitors was relocating.

Unsatisfactory Professional Conduct and Professional Misconduct – Disciplinary Matters

The legislation that sets up my office and governs the operation of the complaints scheme also provides a statutory test, which applies to the assessment of complaints. For me to take further action on a disciplinary matter, I must be satisfied (to the requisite, Briginshaw , standard – see below), that a lawyer has engaged in unsatisfactory professional conduct (section 299 LPUL) or that their conduct may amount to professional misconduct (section 300 LPUL).

Unsatisfactory professional conduct is conduct falling short of the standard of competence and diligence that a member of the public is entitled to expect from a lawyer. Professional misconduct is more serious and involves a substantial or consistent failure to reach or maintain a reasonable standard of competence and diligence or conduct that would justify a finding that the lawyer is not a fit and proper person to engage in legal practice.

Standard of proof

The standard of proof applicable in this jurisdiction is set out in Briginshaw v Briginshaw (1938) 60 CLR 336 at 361 - 362. I cannot make any finding of fact, that is adverse to a

lawyer’s interests, unless the evidence proves it to that standard. Specifically, as Dixon J stated in that decision:

“The truth is that, when the law requires the proof of any fact, the tribunal must feel an actual persuasion of its occurrence or existence before it can be found. It cannot be found as a result of a mere mechanical comparison of probabilities independently of any belief in its reality. No doubt an opinion that a state of facts exists may be held according to indefinite gradations of certainty; and this has led to attempts to define exactly the certainty required by the law for various purposes. Fortunately, however, at common law no third standard of persuasion was definitely developed. Except upon criminal issues to be proved by the prosecution, it is enough that the affirmative of an allegation is made out to the reasonable satisfaction of the tribunal.

But reasonable satisfaction is not a state of mind that is attained or established independently of the nature and consequence of the fact or facts to be proved. The seriousness of the allegation made, the inherent unlikelihood of an occurrence of a given description, or the gravity of the consequences flowing from a particular finding are considerations which must affect the answer to the question whether the issue has been proven to the reasonable satisfaction of the tribunal. In such matters ‘reasonable satisfaction’ should not be produced by inexact proofs, indefinite testimony, or indirect inferences. ” [Emphasis added.]

Consideration

The disciplinary process is not concerned with punishment, or with addressing isolated errors. Mere negligence, without more, is also an insufficient basis to take disciplinary action against an individual lawyer.

My task is to consider each allegation about the solicitor, as framed, and to consider whether I am satisfied, to the requisite standard of proof, that each allegation is made out on the evidence before me. I must also consider whether any protective action is warranted in the public interest, as the purpose of this jurisdiction is primarily to protect the clients of law practices and the public generally

In my view, having considered the overall circumstances in this matter, I cannot be satisfied, to the requisite standard, that any protective action, or further investigation, is required.

The reason for my decision is that Mr Finch has ceased practising in NSW and the Law Society has appointed a manager to the law practice of Creaghe Lisle Solicitors.
strong text
You are right that Mr Finch should have provided clients with at least 14 days’ notice of his intention to transfer his files and safe custody documents to Wagga Conveyancing and the Law. Mr Finch should also have provided clients with the opportunity to tell him to transfer their matters to another law practice or to return their documents.

However, given that Mr Finch is no longer practising and a manager has been appointed to Creaghe Lisle Solicitors, I do not consider that any protective action is warranted. It is not an appropriate use of the limited resources of my Office to investigate this complaint any further. Consequently, I am closing the complaint file in the public interest pursuant to section 277(1)(j) of the LPUL.

Conclusion

The disciplinary jurisdiction is primarily concerned with public protection. It is not punitive, and is not intended to be a substitute for legal action (except to the extent provided by the limited circumstances set out in Part 5.5 of the LPUL).

In my view, for the reasons noted above, I cannot be satisfied, to the requisite standard, that the solicitor has engaged in unsatisfactory professional conduct or that their conduct may amount to professional misconduct with respect to any of the above allegations.

Accordingly, I cannot be satisfied that any protective action is warranted in all the circumstances. Please refer to Fact Sheet 1 (provided to you under cover of a letter to you dated 4 March 2021) should you require more information about the complaint handling process. You can also access Fact Sheet 1 on our website at www.olsc.nsw.gov.au

While your complaint has been closed, I hope that my explanation has been helpful to you.

Yours sincerely

John McKenzie

Commissioner

I have repeated the relevant paragraph below:

"You are right that Mr Finch should have provided clients with at least 14 days’ notice of his intention to transfer his files and safe custody documents to Wagga Conveyancing and the Law. Mr Finch should also have provided clients with the opportunity to tell him to transfer their matters to another law practice or to return their documents"

And so to my original post. Who oversights the bodies over sighting the delivery of professional services.

1 Like

You have travelled the world of window dressing that government has put in place to reassure us nobody is asleep at the wheel, although some observers think it is as much to divert attention from the reality there is often no wheel for them to fall asleep at.

Who then? Probably your MP and the parliament of the day as the next ports of call when it is not going to be a tribunal matter or civil suit. eg the only resolution to lack of oversight appears to often be legislative action. We have seen how that goes and it is sometimes ‘not pretty’, begging who government are working for.

1 Like