Over or under - how does your toilet paper roll?

Very true and it is a personal choice. There isn’t a right or wrong …a better or worse why of inserting one’s toilet roll into the holder.

1 Like

:rofl: Who uttered that blasphemy :rofl: I have the soap and water ready to wash that mouth out. The USA patent shows quite clearly that the paper goes to the front not to the rear…well it does go to the rear in use of course :smile:

And

Vindication by images from the patent :laughing: Anything else must be Contrarianism in my most humble opinion :wink: :smile_cat: :laughing:

5 Likes

Over, if you value your artwork.

Though you can do a reverse wrap for a turn plus if you are underhanded. :wink:

5 Likes

I have to agree. :laughing:

2 Likes

Love the artwork. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I guess there will always debate on left and right, up or down, we are all individuals and will continue to answer as we understand.

I have chosen to answer paper goes under, and this is my reasoning.

Paper that goes over causes more issues with breakage, especially with some of todays softer brands,
Pulling down on the paper causes it to rub against the wall causing friction
This can result in single sheet supply, I gave up that type of paper at school.

Paper going under, when you pull on the paper it causes the roll to pull away from the wall, this allows you to get the length you like without having to use your other hand to stop it rubbing against the wall.

Again it’s really personal choice, if you are a scrouge on dunny paper, roll it over, if you like a bit more than a single sheet to clean, roll it under…

1 Like

Steady diet of beans? :laughing:

Welcome to the Community, @Phil0466. You’ve chosen a burning issue to begin with … :laughing:

One of the arguments I’ve heard against rolling the toilet paper ‘over’ is for those who have pet cats or dogs. The argument goes that the pet can more easily grab the end of the paper and then drag and unroll the whole thing.

My counter-argument is that if the pet’s inclined to play with the toilet paper they’re going to damage it with teeth or claws and/or knock it off the holder and unroll it, anyway … so if you have pets, keep the toilet door closed. :wink:

1 Like

But where will they drink?

3 Likes

Citing @grahroll’s prior post

Perhaps those who practice ‘roll to the rear’ (no pun intended but if it works) started by fearing potential ‘cease and desist’ notices to avoid being sued for patent infringement. The patent would have expired in Dec 1911 if patent expiration times were consistent with today’s but TP roll etiquette had since been defined. Without patent protection it became a ‘lawless wild west’ this way or that.

2 Likes

Frontiers are often lawless, but we are discussing the ‘back’ here.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You can get these.

download

4 Likes

From a designated and well-maintained water bowl? Maybe shaped like a toilet, as per @Gregr’s post. :rofl:

Seriously, though … the claim that dogs drink from (real) toilet bowls doesn’t make sense to me if we’re talking Australian-style toilet bowls, where the water level is a long way down. I’d think most dogs (with the possible exception of long-legged and long-nosed ones like greyhounds) would have difficulty reaching the water.

It’d certainly be possible with the North American style toilets I recall from visits in the 1980s. The water level was very high, within easy reach of a medium- to large-sized dog.

I’d be interested in hearing of dogs managing to drink from an Australian-style (real) toilet bowl. :laughing:

Our German Shepherd did it all the time-used to mortify us :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Can Toilet Water Make My Dog Sick?

Unfortunately, yes, it is bad for dogs to drink toilet water.

Drinking toilet water isn’t a harmless habit, and there can be real consequences. By ignoring this problem, your pet runs the risk of picking up germs or, worse, becoming extremely ill.

PetMD veterinarian Dr. Patrick Mahaney explains that bacteria swarm toilet bowls, including the deadly E. coli found in feces. Even after flushing, millions of microbes remain on the surface of the toilet. In addition, people who take medications or are undergoing chemotherapy or other treatments can pass chemical substances on to their beloved pets without even knowing it!

Toilet cleaning products are often toxic too. If your pup ingests bleach or other chemicals from a bottle of toilet cleaner, it can land your pooch in the emergency room. Cleaning products can also cause chemical burns, stomach aches, and poisoning.

1 Like

Look at it this way: he/she no doubt gave the entire bowl a good licking in the process, so was doing you a service, keeping the bowl clean! :laughing:

I’m sure toilets smell delectable to dogs.

No doubt the bowl is well infected with bacteria. If you have a weak stomach don’t read any further.

I have two problems. One that E. coli is deadly. It is true that bug will make you very ill and possibly kill in extreme situations you but it is unlikely. It is one of the standard lower gut bugs that everybody has that is prevalent in the environment, your skin all about your hips is covered in it, you could probably swab most people’s hands and detect it and mostly we never come to harm, you have to ingest it to do harm and then in large amounts. Describing it as ‘deadly’ without qualification is alarmist.

Secondly the claim that some of E. coli will necessarily harm a healthy dog. Dogs are adapted to consume things that are normally quite harmful to humans. Among other unsavoury habits they engage in coprophagy. Owners get very upset by this but it is natural behaviour.

One of my previous dogs liked to snack on roadkill. The crawling with maggots, high as a kite variety. He once attempted to eat a whole roo (over a period of days) until I disposed of it with a third missing, the corpse was sitting in the sun not kept in the fridge. He was also partial to rabbit, once caught he would eat it all in a sitting. I mean ALL, there would be nothing left but a few drops of blood on the grass.

Once he found a dead cow. I tracked it by smell from about 50 m away. It was bloated with gas and had a hole in the side where the scavengers had entered, as I approached the blowflies were so thick I had to knock them away from my face, I didn’t go closer. He had been inside the carcass and ate it with no harm and did not throw up.

I did attempt to prevent behaviour this but could not always. I do make sure the worming regime is kept strictly! Around the property the dogs still drink from whatever they like, you can’t stop them. They have all lived to a ripe old age and never been ill from gut trouble.

To a healthy kelpie toilet water would be Evian, though mine have not developed the taste as our custom is to close the lid.

3 Likes

Can you die from E. coli?

“Yes, E. coli infections can be deadly. Studies suggest the mortality (death) rate for E. coli infections is around 17%. But the results of these studies vary widely (from 8% to 35%). In general, E. coli UTIs are less likely to be fatal than other kinds of E. coli infections.
Sepsis is the most common cause of death in people with E. coli infections. People who are younger than 1 or older than 44, who have a respiratory infection, or who have an infection that doesn’t respond to antibiotics have higher mortality rate.”

Agreed that dogs are much more resistant to ‘rubbish’ then humans :wink:

Closing the lid or the bathroom door is the best idea, also having a bowl of fresh water in an area of less traffic, and at an appropriate height encourages the pet to not look for a drink elsewhere.

1 Like

The farm dogs I grew up with used to go find a dead animal - the riper the better - and roll in it rather than eat it. Mm-m! Several days dead kangaroo - delightful aroma! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They got short shrift - and a bath! - when they returned to the house and flopped down at the back steps, where the smell could waft into the house.

Good humour accepted - the pet related antics are possibly better continued in another topic - dog related or as the shared experience of consumers who know more of rural living. Our first hand experiences of farm dogs mirror the prior anecdotes and then some. Wisdom learnt is to discourage scavenging knowing our most significant neighbour regularly baits for wild dog control. As do some others for rodents etc.

Dogs and puppies in particular have no genuine need of toilet paper rolls, except perhaps as a prop in branded adverts.

My preference.

Also minimises the risk of dragging your hand knuckles or fingers against the wall if it falls the other way. Which may also be a hygiene concern to some.