Opt-out required "offers"

My wife received her birthday present from National Bowel Cancer Screening Program www.cancerscreening.gov.au & my GP gave me a test kit directly. I wondered why I didn’t get the govt kit as it is more “user friendly” than the GP supplied version. Both were provided & analysed by Sonic Healthcare. GP said it was because I’d had one (from GP) less than two years before. Govt doesn’t want to spend if I pay for it elsewhere.

2 Likes

I was getting these calls on our supposed ‘private number’ too until one day I decided to ‘press 1’ as instructed and got through to a young man with an Indian accent who addressed me by name, identified himself as a ‘technical officer’ and asked how he could help me. I told him he couldn’t since we didn’t have Internet (we do and even the phone is a VOIP connection) and hung up. No calls since.

2 Likes

There was some discussion about the Federal Govt’s screening test not being as accurate as other available tests. However, to at least get people to take a test and have a conversation with their doctor, even if only 40% take the test (as is claimed), it’s a step in the right direction.

Because it involves poo and the Govt, it engenders resistance. I remember Mr Z trying all he could to get out of doing it, even though all he had to do was drop his bundle and not press the button - I did the rest. Then to hear discussion on TV about how repulsive it would be to hand the poo parcel to the Post Office staff (poo the size of 2 grains of rice, triple sealed in tubes, bags etc!!) that people were saying they couldn’t do it. Pity, as if caught early over 90% is curable.

3 Likes

I received a call on my mobile phone earlier today from an unrecognised number - 02 8005 8078. I rejected the call. Unlike any previous scam calls, this one left a message on my messagebank. I didn’t hear who the caller purported to represent. The accent was American and I heard them say that they had no option but to issue a warrant for my arrest (for crimes unknown) and that if I failed to return their call, I could expect to be arrested.

I blocked the number and of course did not respond to their request.

5 Likes

I think someone in Telstra leaks information to some of these scammers. On 3 or 4 occasions now I have reported problems with my Internet to my provider who has eventually passed on the problem to Telstra, who send out a technician. Within an hour or so of my being notified that Telstra will take over the problem, I have received a call from someone purporting to be from Telstra saying they need to login to my computer to “fix” the problem – they usually say my modem has been throwing up errors – which is a whole lot of rubbish, of course. I am in the IT industry and am aware of these scams, but people (particularly elderly) could easily fall for this scam if they expect Telstra to fix their problem.

2 Likes

Sorry Brendan, where is Tim’s example?

2 Likes

Hi @pogioia, here it is:

Thanks to everyone who has left a comment so far :+1:

1 Like

Hi Tim,
I have been sent the kit recently, since I have participated in the screening program in the past. This will be the 3rd. This is a free kit from the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program.

Pogioia

2 Likes