Online order, out of stock but money taken

Update and final.

After I contacted Digidirect through live chat and gave them a two weeks’ deadline, I received the following (and last) communication from them after 10 days:

Apologies for the delayed response we have had a larger than expected amount of inquiries at this time that have delayed our response time. Due to a supply shortage from the Australian distributor, we are not expecting stock until the middle to late next month. As soon as this does come into us we will let you know and we will dispatch this as soon as possible.”

I could not get that lens anywhere else, least in a brick and mortar store. Furthermore, I received the information from the official importer of the lens-brand for Australia, that they just sold the last of that lens model they had on stock, and it will be back in stock end of September. So I hoped it might have been Digidirect which got the last of that lens.

Last Tuesday, to my surprise I received an email from Australia Post that my shipment from Digidirect was coming. Two days ago it arrived.

Summing up, Digidirect was the only place (beside the official importer) where I could get the lens and also for a very good price in comparison to the price of the official importer. Communication from Digidirect though was really bad. One will only receive the status information about the item after having ordered and paid. From the day I ordered up until now there has never been any information on their website that it was (or is) out of stock. In their last communication they also wrote “As soon as this does come into us we will let you know”. They never did.

I generally prefer to buy things in a physical shop where I can actually see the product. But it often happens that I would like a specific product which is not available anywhere. So you spend a lot of time driving around or calling all possible stores nearby searching for your desired item, only to find out that they don’t have it and can’t get it in. Ordering it online is every so often the only way.

Also another reason to go to a brick and mortar store, getting competent advice, is vanishing since more and more shop assistants don’t know much about the products they sell or only want to sell a certain brand (maybe they get a commission or a better profit margin).

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the wrap up, and pleased you got your lens rather than a refund (that would not fit into your camera mount).

3 Likes

Thanks. Yes, a refund would have been the less preferable option and it would not make such nice photos (although I would have a much less heavy photo-backpack :wink:).

4 Likes