Online grocery shopping

Always wise to check your order sometime before the last time for making alterations. You find that some things have already been made unavailable and you can shop for substitutes or remove the products from the list. I’ve made a Coles order this morning, and can make alterations until tonight. I discovered that my cat has suddenly decided he hates a particular Fancy Feast item that he loved only 4 days ago, so I have removed those from the order and during that process, noticed that other things had suddenly become unavailable. These changes can be made (for me) until 11.40 tonight. anything after that is bad luck, I guess.

Woolies is upping the ante for delivery.

2 Likes

No mention of what the delivery charges will be

I bet Woolies will not be giving Uber Eats any huge commissions such as Uber Eats charge the little guys.

A bit of humour from newcorp this morning.

LOL yeah… I’ve had substitutes which just didn’t work for me… I don’t allow them any more. Woolies at least lets you choose which items can be substituted… but coles is all or none.

1 Like

I’ll have to take back my comment about coles not allowing you to choose which to substitute… I had to make an order yesterday and allowed substitutes for yellow squash (thinking they might give me zucchini instead). Ha! No substitute available. I give up, been trying to get yellow squash for weeks and now I expect its out of season.

2 Likes

A question for online shoppers: Have you ever experienced any issues with receiving (and being charged for) more produce that you have ordered? An example below - a customer has ordered a particular quantity of fresh produce like mushrooms and has received double their order quantity.

4 Likes

Seems like the approximately is very approx.

1 Like

When shopping (in person) I notice some pickers seem quite diligent going about their work and others not so much. It will be interesting to see if there are trends or if the report cited was a random experience caused by a particular picker(s) who might best seek other roles in life, or perhaps just a newbie still learning and not yet attuned to QA.

1 Like

When I have seen the online order fillers do loose fruit and vegetables, they seem to place what they think is the right weight into a bag and then set aside for weighing and pricing later. The amount bagged appears to what the filler thinks is about the amount required…rather than weighing each order to get a exact weight.

Some fillers may be better at estimating weights of produce/loose items than others.

1 Like

I use Coles online regularly . On the check out page there is a drop down for substituting products on your order . I always choose . "Substitute at no extra cost " I have never had problems with Coles over charging me .

Recent order I wanted Saxa Iodised Cooking salt . It was unavailable so they substituted with Saxa Cooking salt . They deducted the price difference from my order .

2 Likes

I’m on the brink of giving up on online grocery shopping. I’m fed up with seeing “in store only” for some items I want… if they exist in the store, why can I not hav them in my online order. I’m also fed up with not receiving anything when I have said substitution is OK, and I KNOW there are alternatives. Yes, I always get a refund but crikey, how lazy are the personal shpppers if they can’t be fussed looking for an alternative. Then theres “not available”… our Coles is a prime example… shed loads of not available, but when you go to the shop, they are. That’s when you find out your online shopping doesn’t come from the local store but from one thats two suburbs away. WTF??? I give up.

The thing is, i choose online shopping because I am still nervy about being in stores with lots of people who no longer give a rats about social distancing or masking… so having to go to the shops anyway, after receiving an order with items missing, just seems ridiculous.

/rant

Last week we saw an unpriced product (in quantity) on the shelf at Coles and used their app to scan it for a price. The returned price was ‘not available’. One can make their own conclusions about the various company’s inventory systems being fit for purpose(s) they use them for – Colesworths, Bunnings, the infamous Mosaic Brands, Spotlights, and most of the rest.

The main issue with the people filling your order is possibly that they applied for, and may have been happier doing, a different job at the same store. Some that I see in stores seem to be more interested in blocking aisles with their trolley, trying to knock people over and stopping to gossip with colleagues, rather than getting your order correct.

1 Like

What really grates me is Woolies obstinacy when it comes to online pricing of fruit and vegetables. They’re always priced ‘each’, without an equivalent ‘per kg’ price. Yeah, Woolies, I often jump online just to buy one tomato. Yet somehow, the other major player in our oligopolistic grocery supply system DOES manage dual pricing. Sigh…
Woolies
Coles

2 Likes

Welcome @John_G.

I’m not an online grocery shopper.
Your observation is a surprise. Do Woolies do it for more than just tomatoes?
I might when on my own just pick up a couple. It would be the norm to pay by weight.
If it were by the each I can see what happens at the Avocado display being repeated.
First in picking over all the product, a prod here, a squeeze there, a cough and a sneeze, and the best plumpest choices going first. Pity the customers later in the day. Also the store waste?

Yes, one might want just 2 tomatoes.
Do Woolies or Coles also indicate the variety, ripeness or weight to expect?

We’re able to shop in store at a local F&V or one of several supermarkets. Although one day that may need to change.

2 Likes

Not being an online grocery shopper it was for me also.

The efforts the grocers go to to ‘sell’ online shopping suggests it has to be very profitable. It could be as simple as their pickers grabbing the first item on a shelf with a best by date being tomorrow or in the case cited that they do not have to weigh items sold per each and while they win some or lose some that way the time and infrastructure saved may more than make up for it - not counting ‘any tomato’ not the best available tomato going out the door.

It depends on one’s viewpoint. I don’t pick and prod but I try to find the best, which is what I am paying for. Charge me for the best (or average) but give me ordinary or very ordinary? Not for me.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @John_G,

I moved your post into this more germane one about online shopping. It appears more than one of us was not aware of your observation, so thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Each ought to come with a certificate declaring these factors.

1 Like

Yes, they do. Here’s apples and, ahem, oranges.
I pinged them about this and I just got an anodyne response…“strive to enhance the online shopping customer experience…” etc. The paradox is that in-store, the prices are all in kilograms! What’s the hard bit about providing dual unit pricing online Woolies?
Apples
Oranges

1 Like