October Food Champions Challenge :What milk do you buy?

I will only buy from tithe smaller independent producers. We are lucky to have Mungalli Creek Dairy supply a beautiful range of bio-dynamic dairy products including unhomogenized full fat “cream in the top” milk. The taste is far superior to the big producers.

6 Likes

We buy Devondale 2% long life because it tastes just like whole milk and and we don’t buy fresh because we don’t drink enough. We only use it for tea and coffee. we’ve been buying this brand for at least 7 years.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree! Maleny low fat milk is the only milk I buy. Yes, it is more expensive but tastes like the milk I remember my grandparents giving me - just strained and still warm from the cow!

6 Likes

Norco is my go to and non homogenised my preference for all the reasons you mention.

6 Likes

A2 milk.

4 Likes

Norco. Oh how I do love Norco.
I made my selection based on the Shop Ethical website:
https://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=473

All Milk brands, for comparison:
https://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/browse/guide/?type=15

(Nestle, lol)

7 Likes

I buy Norco Full Cream milk from the bakery across the road as it will last about a week after the use by date, because it is taken from the delivery truck and placed in the bakery’s fridge, not sitting on the loading dock in the sun as I have seen at some of the big supermarkets.
If you want your milk to last longer when you first open it and use some milk just sprinkle a bit of salt into the container put the lid back on and shake it. A bottle of milk I purchased in early September with a Best Before date of 20 September I still have in the fridge and it is still perfect 16 days after the use by date, I mainly use it for tea or coffee.

7 Likes

My first pref is ALDI reduced fat milk as it is fresher and the refrigeration in our local ALDI is far superior to local Woolies or IGA. The milk is fresher and lasts MUCH longer, esp in summer months. If I cannot get to ALDI I use Rev.

Many products requiring refrigeration are of poor quality in hotter weather in our local Woolies.

6 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ethical considerations

or to avoid adding to your salt intake just pop some milk into ice cube trays and freeze.

7 Likes

We buy Vitasoy Barista milk for my husband. When possible, we buy Aldi’s rice milk for me, when can’t get Pureharvest Rice milk. We both have allergies and intolerances.

5 Likes

Thank you @Zcol
and welcome!

3 Likes

Zymil lite as I have some lactose intolerance.

I dislike Soy or Almond milk in coffee as it doesn’t appeal to my taste. I think it is the trend amongst people 40 and younger.

Long life milk doesn’t appeal to me at all even if refrigerated and cold. It just has a totally different taste no matter the brand.

5 Likes

Farm House Gold cream at the top. Why ? It tastes like old fashioned milk from my childhood and it makes Coles full cream milk taste like skim milk. It also goes well with coffee and tea.

7 Likes

i can’t find the supplied list of dairy products…garry

1 Like

My husband and I drink Aldi Light Milk, we tried other brands but we both think the taste of the Aldi Light milk is better. We go through approx 6 litres a week. I have a little in my tea (3 cups a day) but my husband has a fair bit, nearly a cup of milk in his coffee, and he drinks 3-4 cups a day. He will also have cereal a couple of times a week and of course use milk then.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @natural10

6 Likes

I buy A2 skimmed milk for everyday use, but I also buy Devondale UHT (full cream and lite) in 1 ltr boxes to make yogurt. You don’t have to heat the milk if you use UHT milk.

6 Likes

Vitasoy Milky to use on my morning cereal. I also use it if I’m baking.

7 Likes

i use soy milk products…garry

2 Likes