October 2022 Food Champions Challenge: Grocery shopping on a budget. What are your strategies, tricks and tips when food shopping on budget?

Excellent suggestions, although I have some minor qualifications.

In my experience, it is rare to find a house brand, and especially one openly labelled Woolworths or Coles, which is “just as good” IMHO (although I haven’t bought Uncle Toby’s rolled oats, or any of the house brand alternatives, in decades, because back then they were rolled too thin and therefore broke up and dusted too readily to be used in the natural muesli mix I used to make myself).

What is worse, on the rare occasions you find a house brand product that is truly exceptional, better than anything at any price, it appears only briefly before disappearing forever.

For example, some years ago Woolworths offered a Christmas special on a New-Zealand-made fruit-mince tart under their “Woolworth’s Gold” label, which was better than anything I could buy anywhere, including my local French bakery – and indeed better than the ones I made myself at home using my grandmother’s/mother’s recipe! – and much better than the one Choice was recommending (a Coles house brand, I think) at the time.

They disappeared from Woolies’ range in the New Year.

I wrote futilely to Woolworths begging for them to reinstate them, or at least give me a contact where I could find someone else selling them under some other label, including online in New Zealand.

Choice has history in making terrible recommendations in the food area, blinded by their obsession with Crude Analysis. Speaking of mueslis, I stopped making my own when I found a niche brand in both Woolies and Coles (which now seems to no longer exist anywhere) who produced a natural muesli with a similar eclectic choice of ingredients to my own, and made with ingredients of a similar high quality. Choice advised readers not to buy this muesli, because the raw nuts and raw seeds it contained were too high in fat (!!) and to instead buy Kellogg’s All Bran, which was low in fat only because it is low in every nutrient worthy of the name – the classic breakfast cereal which when fed to rats leads to the rats dying, while a control group of rats fed on the cardboard box survive.

I wonder if Choice are responsible for that truly-healthy brand going out of business?

3 Likes