November 2023 Food Champions Challenge: Gelato

My favourite gelato place occasionally has lavender vanilla and that would have to be my fave though hard to get. Another gelato shop I go to has rum and raisin gelato and despite it being, I imagine, very un italian, it is my go to flavour. In fact it is the only one I buy there and as they interchange it with whisky something, if it is the wrong day, I go without.

3 Likes

I’ve been reminded of alcohol based gelato considered a bit of a challenge because of the anti-freezing quality of spirit but can result in complex layers of delightful flavours. Just imagine champagne added to a lemon mixture or vodka to a strawberry one….

In case we don’t have that type of gelato available near us we could improvise by pouring a little alcohol into our gelato serving dish to enhance flavours: Grand Marnier to vanilla, Cognac to lemon, Brandy to chocolate…

2 Likes

It may not have your actual rum but rum flavour which adds much less alcohol.

All I would need is somebody to refill my bowl from time to time as I recline …

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of the rum essence used in ‘rum and raisin’. I just used it as an entry point to talk about the ‘real alcohol’ based gelato :wink:

2 Likes

Well stay away from vanilla essence / extract in your icecream then, because that has to be at least 35% alcohol. 70 proof. A bit less than most spirits, but certainly boozy.
Doesn’t stop the freezing process one bit. That is just a silly myth.

Champagne freezes readily in a domestic fridge freezer. I found sufficient inspiration online for cocktails, sorbets and a variety of frozen dairy mixes. No recommendations without trying a few out. :yum:

To be wary of with many formula - the mixture often retains the alcohol content of the added beverage.

More than one way to get your daily fix of gelato, jam and sugars.

An even grander version at a far less reasonable price, availability of either?
Dr. Evil's Magic Mushroom – Gelato Messina

1 Like

All I can say is: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: to both price and the item itself. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Bored again this morning are we? If you want information about things just ask, there is no need to make provocative statements to get some explanation.

3 Likes

Wow, mention alcohol on here and the thread goes off! :grinning:

4 Likes

It is one of my occupation’s annoyances as an IT support person is that quite frequently I am online in the middle of the night. Not bored, working. Fixing problems and changing systems. Online systems are expected to be online always.
Hope that explains my middle of the night postings.
:grinning:

I’ll thank you to show some respect, I do not spread myths in the forum. I take my challenges seriously and do my research.
I will not go into details but suffice to say that I would expect it to be obvious to anyone that it’s the quantity of spirit which makes a difference and which also causes an imbalance in the sugar and protein content. Of course good gelato makers know how to overcome all of those problems and we can just enjoy the results.

1 Like

Looking to some American formulae for alcohol flavoured gelato I was left wondering. Does the addition of corn starch, corn syrup, kosher salt but absence of eggs move the recipe too far away from the traditional gelato ingredients? Egg yoke, sugar, dairy and flavour.

I was surprised the US inspired iced treat had not included cheese as the final enhancement to the added bourbon. Everything tastes better with cheese? My cardiologist and I have the same discussion with every visit. :roll_eyes::joy:

P.S.
Introducing Quattro Formaggi - 48 Flavours

48 Flavours, international award winning Gorgonzola and Pear gelati is created from the Adelaide Central Market produce, including The Smelly Cheese Shop and is a taste sensation of the perfect blend of classic Italian flavours.

1 Like

:+1: Our favourite ice cream when we spent a couple of years in Canada decades ago was a Black Raspberry Cheesecake flavour. :yum:

1 Like

Using starch as a stabiliser instead of eggs has a very long tradition in gelato making, especially in southern Italy which has had a long influence from the Arab/Spanish world.

2 Likes

Apologies, we are drifting a little, having left it open to suggest there might be more than one viewpoint.

Which came first, the egg or the ….?
Legend has it -

Left over cooked rice might trump both……

Differences perceived or …. between north and south, east and west are not unique. There are many alternate traditions. In Italy a Gelateria can offer gelato, sorbetto, tartufo, dairy free and vegan plus many other cold/frozen wonders. Being free to exclude the egg noted.

It seems a fine line between adaption and adoption as to what is genuinely a tradition. Imagine the local Indian or Thai take-away excluding chillies and tomatoes from all meals because it’s not traditional. Both were brought to the east from the Americas by the Portuguese.

I’ve always like lemon & pistachio the best. At the italian shop on Rundle Street Adelaide :yum:

4 Likes

In a cone I prefer the creamy flavours such as coffee mocha hazelnut…
but when making a gelato dessert my favourite is the vanilla flavour.
Vanilla is the little black dress of flavours IMO. It can be dressed up or down for various occasions, it is simple but very versatile.
It can be served with colourful fruit cubes/slices and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands for a festive fun treat for children to enjoy.
Or for an adult flavour it can be sprinkled with almond or hazelnut praline and affogato in a double-shot espresso or in a liqueur such as Curaçao or Bailey.

But that’s just me, I’m sure others will have even better and more flavoursome combinations to share :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

I always look for coconut then hazelnut…and it must…always be served in a cone. …preferably a waffle cone

3 Likes

Welcome @Cooper!

Unless it’s being served as a dessert in a lovely dish, I prefer my gelato in a waffle cone too! :blush:

1 Like

One dieticians views of ice creams, gelatos and other dairy desserts:

2 Likes