Newly released 2021 Australian edition of the 4K UHD Amazon Fire TV stick doesn't play in 4K for most streaming services

Whoops. Lets roll back a bit.

I’ve posted that Netflix and Disney require a HDMI 2.1 port. This is completely incorrect. I should make notes when things are being told to me over a phone.

It’s not a HDMI 2.1 port that is required at all. What is required from Netflix and Disney+ is HDCP 2.2 and I have no idea if my 4K TV has that or not. Apparently if you select Automatic, up to 4K Ultra HD in the Fire TV Stick’s video resolution settings then you get a message if your TV doesn’t support HDCP 2.2, and I don’t get this message. So presumably I do have it then, and Netflix and Disney+ just need to upgrade their Fire TV Stick apps to allow 4K content through, which is what I’ve been trying to tell them all along, and exactly what Stan did to finally let their app stream in 4K.

So apologies for the HDMI 2.1 mix up.

4 Likes

Well, that makes sense because you’re not supposed to be able to watch things that are protected by HDCP.

:roll_eyes:

Apparently I have HDCP 2.2, because if I didn’t the Fire TV Stick would give me an error message to say it won’t work. As mentioned previously, Stan has since upgraded their app to allow for 4K content, so it’s just a matter of waiting to see if Disney+ and Netflix upgrade their apps now.

Latest update in the Australian Fire TV Stick 4K saga.

To date, Stan and Netflix have now upgraded their apps on the thing to allow for 4K content. It’s just Disney+ that still won’t stream in 4K on the device, even though the app will recognise that a program is available as a 4K stream if you go to the info section for that particular program. It just won’t let you have it as a 4K stream.

There are 3 settings for Disney+ on the Australian 4K Fire TV Stick. One that allows for 4K streams, one that only allows for HD streams and one that will only give SD streams.

If you choose the SD option, then the app will put an SD stamp on the menu page for every program you look at.

If you choose the HD option, then the app will give you a HD stamp on any show that is available as a HD or 4K stream.

If you choose the 4K option then it will still only give you a HD stamp on anything that’s supposed to be available as a 4K stream.

I’ve given up trying to contact Disney+ about it. Their customer service staff are pretty clueless about it all. I’m just going to have to put up with a HD stream for everything because they don’t seem to be interested in fixing the issue.

1 Like