NBN questions - When should I sign up? Cost to roll ethernet around the home?

Good idea, but the mere thought of having my Internet connection at a distance from my PC gives me heart palpitations.

3 Likes

Have it run to that room and then do the cabling from there. Central location :smile: is wherever you want it to be.

2 Likes

Thanks muchly, I DID buy those phones. But I took the filter out of the line from the modem to the phone socket on the wall upstairs and both phones, upstairs and downstairs, now work. NO outside interference. Its just the old cable from the modem to the phone point from before NBN.

Cost nothing as the cable was already there. I figured that there must be a cable from the phone point upstairs to the point downstairs and it worked. old age and treachery will always …

1 Like

One option I have used is to insert a flat LAN cable between the carpet & skirting. They are readily available in CAT5e, 6 & 7 in a variety of pre-constructed lengths. 5 & 7.5m lengths have worked well for me. They go around sharp bends more easily than regular cable. Years ago when we replaced the carpet, we put antenna cable in the gap between the floor & skirting to a more convenient point.

I have a difficult home to cable. During a past partial reno I had a few LAN points done that were cable accessible. During a subsequent change, they damaged the longest cable run. The LAN points never seem the right place, so I now have 3 skirting installations. The desktops, printer & TV/media unit are all hardwired. The difference to wireless is noticable, but less so than when we first did this pre-AC wireless.

3 Likes

Flat cabling is certainly a good idea if you want to run inside the house and you have the ability to hide it easily eg carpet. Great suggestion in those cases.

Cat 7 if it can be obtained cheaply enough is a choice but Cat 6 or 6a are often cheaper to purchase and support 10Gbe (10 gigabit ethernet) with runs of Cat 6 up to 55 m and 6a to 100 m, even short runs (up to about 45 metres) of 5e will carry 10 Gbe successfully. If worried about noise then buying shielded Cat 6 should be enough in a house. If you want to run Cat 7 for future proofing then installing Fibre (FO) is probably the best future proofing and interference resistance you will get and there are certainly routers and network cards at cheaper prices that offer FO capabilities nowadays.

2 Likes