NBN fixed wireless

You might misunderstand my comment. If you get any specific speed, using a VPN will always reduce that speed. That was the only point, so the VPN performance is not relevant to any issues you have with your fixed wireless service. Since FW is somewhat broken on its better days I always get a chuckle calling it ‘fixed’ anything :slight_smile:

Choice reviewed VPNs (member content) as has the techie community, and some VPN services are much better than others regarding performance and usability. Bottom line is the VPN server reduces performance so when talking about Exetel and the NBN it is not relevant; but it is relevant when viewed against other VPN services.

FW is what it is, and it is not much in the scheme of real broadband. @postulative has the best advice,

3 Likes

Thanks and very appreciated. Will definitely look into that.

2 Likes

Thanks will take on your suggestion…but tonight I am knackered. Will look into that tomorrow.

2 Likes

It is also worth noting that the upload speed users were quoted in the past are not assured.

Previous decisions by a NBN Co to prioritise download over upload speeds.

Most offers I’ve researched recently for our NBN FW area say little or nothing about upload. The upload speed has disappeared from their plan descriptions.

@pegi228 might like to seek clarification from Exetel concerning upload speeds if that is a concern. When I went to the Exetel web site all they wanted to sell me was a 4G data service from the nearest Optus tower. So it isn’t clear at my end what they offer for NBN FW currently.

50/20 aside from not being achieved for @pegi228, is also likely misleading. It is not consistent with what the NBN Co can deliver for upload. Similarly 25/5 is also likely misleading.

3 Likes

Just so that I understand, are you saying that when you do speed testing, you are using WiFi on your computer? If so, you should not do that - since that introduces another variable.

That is good - but if you are ever complaining about your speeds, the first thing you need to do is test the speed without the VPN. That is reasonably safe to do although it may be a good idea to close all other tabs and applications before disabling the VPN - and then do the speed test.

Bottom line: If you are on a 50/20 fixed wireless plan and you do a speed test bypassing WiFi and VPN and you get 24/1, you have a right to be disappointed and I reckon the upload speed is so far out of whack that you have a right to complain to your ISP.

However it is no surprise that telecommunications is one of the most complained about industries and actual speeds v. marketing speeds is one of the most complained about issues within that.

It was suggested above that you try a speed test using a Brisbane server. Is that an option?

2 Likes

Hi there
I went tho Exetel website and the prices for 25/5 is $79.00 or 50/20 is $89.00. as per today’s prices.

Have a look at what I got and changing is useless. But I think it is disgraceful to charge that much for so little performance.
Very little difference between VPN and NO VPN

Am interested in changing maybe the DNS to see what it gives.

Now, speed is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fibre broadband?

1 Like

yes

1 Like

But, above, you said it is fixed wireless - and talk about a dish on the roof.

1 Like

OK, I have a little dish on the roof with wires going under the house and into the NBN box on the wall. So, it is receiving some sort of waves that feeds the cables down under the house. Then wifi to house through the modem. Mine being Fritz 7490.
Does this make sense?

2 Likes

Yes but then the above extract from the ISP’s web site may be for the wrong plan.

Whenever I take out a new service with an ISP, I save to a local copy all of the information about the service. That way, the ISP can’t change it retrospectively - and I know exactly what the information said at the time that I agreed to it.

1 Like

Recent discussion including @pegi228, @mark_m, @person, @postulative, and myself has been moved to this topic as it seems more an issue with fixed wireless performance than degradation from COVID-19 congestion.

1 Like

Sorry if I have barged in with no relevance to the topic. I shall withdraw my queries.
I also think that due to the demand on the Internet because of covid 19 . We have experienced worse connections. But mine has almost been that way.

I bow out. and thanks for your help.

1 Like

Please do not take any offence. The discussion you started is germane to many NBN customers who ‘enjoy’ fixed wireless services much as you do.

Your query was Very Relevant to this topic, and could be relevant to COVID-19 congestion, but this one will be more enduring for those who ‘come looking’ for information and experiences.

Let us know who you go, whether performance or whatever! (plz see my PM in your inbox)

3 Likes

Not at all - I think all of us want to try to help if we can. Of course, we have a lot of questions to see if we can figure things out.

3 Likes

Live all of 5 Kim from the locally called no bloody network tower and are unable to get any reception
Must live in the back locks as 122 from Melbourne on the Princes Highways
Optus mobile reception is almost as bad how is one supposed to be able to get internet

1 Like

Hello @bernierowley0, welcome to the community, and for sharing your frustration.

Out NBN FW tower is within a couple of kms across flat terrain. They stuck it in the middle of a pine plantation. Line of sight is not possible for many. We still have our ADSL which is what it is.

It is often worth taking some time to quietly read through the posts in a topic. There are often solutions suggested by others to common problems.

If you would like to share some more information about your current problem, it will make it easy for others in the community to respond the best way they can.

Do you actually have an NBN FW service and experience issues with it? Congestion on a tower is common as is poor siting of your rooftop antenna. Or have you been told you are not able to be serviced at your site due to …?

Note:
As an alternative to the NBN there are a number of options based on the mobile broadband providers networks. Optus and Telstra. Both work well if we sit on our roof, but not so in the house. For data only there are configurations that use a mobile data device with an external antenna. This assumes your data needs are modest. There are also a number of third party providers.

We’ve looked at the options with Telstra, Optus and dedicated third party providers for our Site in SE Qld rural. We use a Telstra mobile 4GX data modem reliably with WIFi for backup (aerial connected version) and travel. There is also one spot on the back deck where the Optus tower approx 6km distant provides a reasonable service. Both usually exceed what many report for NBN FW.

There is a handy reference to a web service that you can use to locate your nearest NBN and mobile towers, if you need that info. There is also a tool to determine your line of sight.

2 Likes

An article regarding the NBN waiving RSP fees for 6 months to help certain users.

Hopefully it will be passed on in full to those who are entitled to the discount.

2 Likes

If you want to check the line of sight to the transmitter you can use Google Earth Pro (free download).

Find your property and adjust the view until your property and the tower are visible on the screen, then choose the Ruler tool and select the Path tab. Tick the box Show Elevation Profile. If you now draw a line between your place and the tower by clicking each end the profile in between will appear on the screen. If you have a section of land higher than a straight line drawn between the end points on the profile you are going to have problem with getting a strong signal as the earth will block it. This view will not show you the effects of trees etc around either end. If you have this problem there is little you can do but relocate your antenna and you may not be able to get it up enough to see over the intervening hump.

A better way to get some solid data is to get a signal strength measurement when the antennae is installed. I don’t know about getting this checked after installation, perhaps someone else can help with that.

I am not saying poor signal strength is the only possible reason for poor performance but it may help if you can eliminate or confirm that issue.

3 Likes

Something different about NBN Fixed Wireless, we have our antenna halfway up the roof, a month ago we had a severe hailstorm with hail 100mm plus, it wrecked our whole roof ,SolarHart and all PV panels but the NBN antenna doesn’t have a mark on it. Pity other products aren’t as robust,cheers John.

4 Likes