NBN cutting off service without notice

Yes we can. I’ve done it to get switched from FTTN to the FTTP connection point that was 4 inches from my NBN connection point. The default NBN response to my ISP was “the home is already on the NBN”. I tried everything else first, but ended up writing a letter to Stephen Rue. It was fixed almost immediately.

The thing is, even though we don’t have a contract with NBN, we do have the right to contact them. The same rules apply when your electricity or gas retailer is not the same company as the distributor (it usually isn’t). If there’s a problem with the service line to the house, you contact the distributor.

I suspect that might be the path to resolve the problem raised by @Michael9 problem

This work will have been performed by a subcontractor to NBN i.e. the work was performed for and on behalf of NBN, under NBN’s direction (works for hire), or to NBN’s specification (fixed price contract).

NBN owns (or at least leases) the duct through the public land (i.e. the roadside), and the ducts are subject to statutory requirements for depth, separation from other infrastructure and so on.

The property owner owns the land through which the line passes (inside the title boundary). There’s usually no easement for tap lines (the domestic service connection portion), but there’s an implied easement.

NBN is responsible for the service to the connection point inside your house. They’re not responsible for your house wiring. If there’s a problem with water ingress, that is absolutely for NBN to resolve as the responsible authority.

4 Likes

Sorry, @Michael9 I started that earlier reply yesterday and didn’t see your update.

1 Like

We had a similar experience with Telstra ( before NBN was connected),The pit at the foot of the telephone pole regularly filled with water and we lost our telephone service. No matter what we told the technicians, nobody ever believed us !! After all, what would an amateur housholder know about it ???

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome @mark_m,

We did ask about having a ‘nn/B’ or similar address for the flat but we were told it needs a subdivision to have it’s own address. In our State you can’t subdivide a flat and definitely not a path we wanted to go down.

Yes, it seems we may have had some luck with getting an additional NBN line to our property. It cost $300 for the connection.

Anyway, we eventually got everything sorted and for now everyone is happy.

2 Likes

Thanks to all for the advice.
Once I contacted the TIO action started to happen with Telstra inspecting the pit and advising that they prioritise its rectification, although a time frame could not be provided. NB Telstra did want to close the case but when pressed advised that they will keep it open until situation is completed to my satisfaction.
The TIO office advised that they will continue to monitor the progess.

4 Likes

Again thanks to all for your advice.
The TIO was excellent in prompting my ISP to rectify the issue, their (TIO) communication was professional and extremely efficient with regular updates on the progress of my claim, so much so that the ISP would ring me weekly with updates. In short the problem has now been rectified.

6 Likes